Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: CTD newb considering tuners. Here are my criteria, what fits them?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

CTD newb considering tuners. Here are my criteria, what fits them?

I bought my 2014 SRW 2500 CTD Quadcab Tradesman 4x4 (White) new and it is my first diesel. I want to learn about tuners and whether they'll do what I think I want them to do.

The truck is mechanically bone stock (and want to keep it that way as long as I can). Less than 40,000 miles.
    Its not my daily driver. I pull an 8000lb gooseneck trailer full of dogs, almost every saturday for 100 to 400 miles round trip. every other week, I might take the truck to town for dinner or errands (50-75 miles round trip), or on a overnight business trip into city traffic (150 mile both ways, and 50 "city" miles.) Except in the city, the roads I travel have speed limits of 55 to 75, often winding hilly 2-way county highways. There are occasions in volunteer firefighting I may have to light the truck up cold, drive swiftly 10 miles, shut down, lock up, and run to get on other equipment. Oh, and environment is hot humid rural east texas. Also, I use 4HI maybe a mile per week on sand and loose gravel, 4L almost never. My dash hours indicate that nearly 20% of my runtime is idling (most during the saturday trailer pulls, some in stupid city traffic, and some of it just doing light timber work around the property.

So, here's what I want from a tuner (RacemeUltra, bulldog, mm3, something else) from most important to least important; you tell me whats the best tuner for that, what I might regret, and whats impossible.
    1. No "rolling coal"
    2. ability to restore factory programming
    3. Improved fuel efficiency when towing
    4. Improved longevity of major components (turbo, motor, trans, drive train)
    5. a bit more improved throttle response (I'm not trying to smoke tires, just want to enter roadways more briskly for traffic)
    6. More instrumentation for monitoring system parameters (I have the OEM 3" lcd show 4 lines)
    7. More turbo whine and generally louder volume from the booster
    8. not have to buy another gallon of DEF
    9. Make exhaust brake default "ON" with every key start (I turn it on more then off)
    10. Put Tow/Haul setting "ON" with every key start (I turn it on more then off)
    11. a bit more grunt for entering a highway on an uphill ramp with my trailer
    12. Turbo Timer (?) --- if turbo is too hot when I key off, the motor runs long enough to let the turbo cool (I can roll up to the firehouse, jump out with my keys, lock the doors and head off in a firetruck, confident that my truck will shut off after a few minutes of cool down.)
    13. Other cool sound modes to make the truck sound more dieselly (and maybe just a little louder). "12v" mode? "lope" mode?

Is all of this possible without a ton of hacking? Running some wires, and getting an EGT installed seems no big deal.
    What on my desires list are incompatible with others? What am I missing that I haven't even considered?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

CTD newb considering tuners. Here are my criteria, what fits them?

Check out Ray @Double R Diesel
    Lots of great guys here to help answer all your questions. I'm running custom engine tuning with transmission tuning by Ray, you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: CTD newb considering tuners. Here are my criteria, what fits them?

I was new to this as well until about three weeks ago. Started getting the DPF 80% Full - Regen Needed Now message on the EVIC. Cost of tuner/delete parts and labor at a shop to install was just about $300 more than a new DPF. I went with the RaceMe Ultra, Sinister EGR/Cooler delete kit, and 4" turbo-to-muffler Flo-Pro exhaust. Considered Mini-Maxx, but H&S really no longer exists. If I had found this site prior to my purchase, I would've bought everything from @Double R Diesel. You can get custom programming from them that I think might do a lot of what you want. I am just running the 'box' tunes for now.

Haven't towed our 15k fifth wheel yet. I have everything set on stock power as it towed great stock. I'll see how it does when we leave New Mexico at the end of the month headed towards Minnesota with the RV.

Running empty, my mileage has improved by about 4 mpg, combo highway/city driving. Throttle response is MUCH improved (no more 'dead pedal' feeling). Do note a turbo whistle with EB on, high-idle during warm-up but haven't really noticed it when driving, but again, haven't driven it with a load yet. Kept factory muffler and tailpipe (hoping for not much louder than stock and haven't been disappointed there). Has a deeper exhaust note. Haven't had any 'rollin' coal' experiences yet, even under moderate acceleration when entering the Interstate, but again, this is unloaded. I'm sure there will be some when towing. The DPF is gone! Only worry I have is the tranny. Box tune has tranny programming to increase line pressure and firm up shifts, which it does nicely. One of the reasons I'm running stock power is I don't want tranny issues. I may try a 30 hp bump during the upcoming trip to see what happens if everything else (EGT/Boost/tranny temps stay within acceptable parameters).

In short, My advice is to contact Ray at @Double R Diesel with the above questions - it's my understanding he can set you up with what you need.

Regards,

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plarkinjr View Post
    I bought my 2014 SRW 2500 CTD Quadcab Tradesman 4x4 (White) new and it is my first diesel. I want to learn about tuners and whether they'll do what I think I want them to do.

The truck is mechanically bone stock (and want to keep it that way as long as I can). Less than 40,000 miles.
    Its not my daily driver. I pull an 8000lb gooseneck trailer full of dogs, almost every saturday for 100 to 400 miles round trip. every other week, I might take the truck to town for dinner or errands (50-75 miles round trip), or on a overnight business trip into city traffic (150 mile both ways, and 50 "city" miles.) Except in the city, the roads I travel have speed limits of 55 to 75, often winding hilly 2-way county highways. There are occasions in volunteer firefighting I may have to light the truck up cold, drive swiftly 10 miles, shut down, lock up, and run to get on other equipment. Oh, and environment is hot humid rural east texas. Also, I use 4HI maybe a mile per week on sand and loose gravel, 4L almost never. My dash hours indicate that nearly 20% of my runtime is idling (most during the saturday trailer pulls, some in stupid city traffic, and some of it just doing light timber work around the property.

So, here's what I want from a tuner (RacemeUltra, bulldog, mm3, something else) from most important to least important; you tell me whats the best tuner for that, what I might regret, and whats impossible.
    1. No "rolling coal"
    2. ability to restore factory programming
    3. Improved fuel efficiency when towing
    4. Improved longevity of major components (turbo, motor, trans, drive train)
    5. a bit more improved throttle response (I'm not trying to smoke tires, just want to enter roadways more briskly for traffic)
    6. More instrumentation for monitoring system parameters (I have the OEM 3" lcd show 4 lines)
    7. More turbo whine and generally louder volume from the booster
    8. not have to buy another gallon of DEF
    9. Make exhaust brake default "ON" with every key start (I turn it on more then off)
    10. Put Tow/Haul setting "ON" with every key start (I turn it on more then off)
    11. a bit more grunt for entering a highway on an uphill ramp with my trailer
    12. Turbo Timer (?) --- if turbo is too hot when I key off, the motor runs long enough to let the turbo cool (I can roll up to the firehouse, jump out with my keys, lock the doors and head off in a firetruck, confident that my truck will shut off after a few minutes of cool down.)
    13. Other cool sound modes to make the truck sound more dieselly (and maybe just a little louder). "12v" mode? "lope" mode?

Is all of this possible without a ton of hacking? Running some wires, and getting an EGT installed seems no big deal.
    What on my desires list are incompatible with others? What am I missing that I haven't even considered?
    Ray from Double R Diesel he is the best in this modern Cummins tuning world with the RaceMe MM3 hands down no brainer talk to him he will be able to hook you up bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Check Ray out for your tuning and welcome friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

to the forum @plarkinjr

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Get an MM3! Problems solved. 😁

🏁Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!🏁

"The grass is greener where you water it"

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Talk to ray.

With the tuning options I chose I have most of what you want and I think ray can do everything there except the turbo timer at this point

On another note I would like to know about the tow haul mode on as well. I am playing with mpg right now tow haul on, off 30 60 90 and 120 tunes with each

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post