Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Change

Good lord I just did my first oil change and there has to be a easier way to get the filter out then through the wheel well.

I care from a 7.3 and this is just a pain.

I tried a plastic gallon bag and it didn’t help is there any advice 2016 2500 big horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by Cweaver View Post
    Good lord I just did my first oil change and there has to be a easier way to get the filter out then through the wheel well.

I care from a 7.3 and this is just a pain.

I tried a plastic gallon bag and it didn’t help is there any advice 2016 2500 big horn.

There is a filter plug you can buy. So you drop the filter, screw the plug into the filter, then pull the filter out the wheel well. Only other way is take off you intake tube and get it from above.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

4. Thanks Cweaver thanked for this post
    Likes Cweaver, AK Bob, watersupply189, Yamahamod liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    There is a filter plug you can buy. So you drop the filter, screw the plug into the filter, then pull the filter out the wheel well. Only other way is take off you intake tube and get it from above.
    Yea I seen the plug after I did it, someone should punch ram engineers in the ***** for making that hole so small. Like how do you think turning a oil filter sideways to get it out is the way it should be, thanks for the info on that plug.

6. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    Lisle 57180 Oil Filter Plug Tool (Cummins) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FRCM8K..._jKy8Db7V7EWZ9

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Lisle 57180 Oil Filter Plug Tool (Cummins) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FRCM8K..._jKy8Db7V7EWZ9

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep this works, I have same one works great. I tried the plastic zip bags for awhile, but it only takes one little tare to make a mess

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Have not changed the oil in my new one yet. Knew of the plug and bought it just a week or so after taking delivery.

Essential tool that should come with the truck. Otherwise ..... euch.

12. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

After you get the plug and do your first oil change....all the oil changes after are a breeze.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

14. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I would also recommend installing a HD magnetic drain plug.

Your engine will thank you in the long run.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...2/drain-valves

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Bought an anodized filter plug from Geno's.

Still a pain to get the filter out/in, but this eliminates the mess.

Reverse process with new oil, works fantastic!!! ;-)

'17 2500 SLT, 6" on 37's, 4.44's, Tuned/MM3/Matched Autometer, Grid Delete w/GDP Horn, BDD Ironhorn BW 364SXE Turbo, S&B Intake, 5" Turbo Back W/Muffler, Revmax Zeroflex Valve Body & Thermal Bypass, Mag-Hytec, 8.4AN & EVIC Upgrade, Fab Fours/Fusion, Full LED and a host of other mods.

17. Thanks Cweaver thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Cweaver liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I do as most state above: I drive her for at least 10 miles (highway) get the oil temp up to @ least 190*F - Then let sit for @ least 1/2 hour.

I lay a oil diaper down right below the filter inside the engine bay (seems to always hold the filter in place once unscrewed) screw my billet plug in & pull out the filter.
    Letting the filter sit 1/2 hour before unscrewing seems to allow enough time for no oil run off or drips afterwards.

Also a fumoto drain plug installed. (Makes for a slower drain but no mess what so ever).
    No tools needed except the filter wrench.

Oil changes take about 30min & are virtually mess free & No Bloody Knuckles or a migraine headache.

The first oil change was a small challenge - but with the right tools & filter wrench and a couple under my belt - they are actually enjoyable with a couple cold beers!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

19. Thanks Cweaver, Mdavlee thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast