Thanks Thanks:  118
Likes Likes:  207
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 falling on its face. Tune or fuel pressure relief valve?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2013 falling on its face. Tune or fuel pressure relief valve?

So I posted this on the cummins forum and DoubleRdiesel suggested In post it here. Here's my original posts.(Truck is deleted with RacemeUltra on 120hp tune all defaults and trans tuning.)
    Just had something weird happen. Been driving on this new tune for i guess 4 days now. I went to pull out into traffic pretty fast. Maybe half throttle. Truck took off fine and then I think hit second and fell completely on its face. It felt like it defueled totally or something. Fuel filters have about 400 miles on them so its not that. I let off and accelerated slowly and it hesitated and then drove ok. Next light.
    Someone suggested torque management kicked in which made sense.
    Then it happened again but this time I got a check engine light and error code for fuel pressure valve activated.
    I cleared code but haven't had a chance to drive it hard yet. Ray, I checked and am running default 1850 rail pressure. I changed gauges to monitor fuel pressure and I'm guessing if it a weak relief valve that I should be able to see my max fuel pressure and determine if it's in range or not? Assuming it is a weak valve and needs to be shimmed like Ray suggested, is there any harm shimming or am I safer just replacing the valve? I found a new OEM one on ebay for $160. Thoughts or input appreciated!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    So I posted this on the cummins forum and DoubleRdiesel suggested In post it here. Here's my original posts.(Truck is deleted with RacemeUltra on 120hp tune all defaults and trans tuning.)
    Just had something weird happen. Been driving on this new tune for i guess 4 days now. I went to pull out into traffic pretty fast. Maybe half throttle. Truck took off fine and then I think hit second and fell completely on its face. It felt like it defueled totally or something. Fuel filters have about 400 miles on them so its not that. I let off and accelerated slowly and it hesitated and then drove ok. Next light.
    Someone suggested torque management kicked in which made sense.
    Then it happened again but this time I got a check engine light and error code for fuel pressure valve activated.
    I cleared code but haven't had a chance to drive it hard yet. Ray, I checked and am running default 1850 rail pressure. I changed gauges to monitor fuel pressure and I'm guessing if it a weak relief valve that I should be able to see my max fuel pressure and determine if it's in range or not? Assuming it is a weak valve and needs to be shimmed like Ray suggested, is there any harm shimming or am I safer just replacing the valve? I found a new OEM one on ebay for $160. Thoughts or input appreciated!
    Definitely monitor your rail pressure and watch it carefully. This is a very strange. Your description and code that popped up does indeed indicate that relief valve popped. The reason I asked you to check your settings is that running the 2000 bar setting could indeed cause the valve to relieve. However 4th 6.7 Cummins usually have zero issues running up to 27500 psi of rail pressure, which is 1900 bar. The old 3rd 6.7s would blow one in a minute above 26500 psi but not these newer ones. I guess it is possible to have a faulty valve. Honestly I would replace the valve with a new stock one if your troubles continued. Its good to have a relief at a point as you climb near 30000 psi of rail but the stock piece should handle up to 1900 bar just fine.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I had a similar experience one time when I forgot to unplug my throttle valve after a trip to the dealer. No code but truck fell flat when trying to make a pass on a 2 lane road. Not fun at all. Hope you get it figured out quick.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I'll drive it today and see what the fuel pressure goes up to. I reinstalled the tune yesterday just to see if anything changes. If it continues I was going to go back to the 30hp setting and see if it still does it. I'll report back later.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I got to put the truck through its paces today. It consistently would lurch forward under hard acceleration, then die and fell like it lost all power. I got no CEL and when I set quick tune to 30 hp it would still do it. Fuel rail pressure was around 27,500. Possibly over but while checking the tuner for codes I reset my values. Could the pressure relief valve really remove enough fuel to make it do this? I stopped at my buddies shop and he said they just plug them and had never had an issue. He recalls doing one 2012. His mechanic has an 08 that he just plugged the pressure valve as well. Is this possibly my problem and do I shim, plug or replace the valve? Or is it something else?

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    I got to put the truck through its paces today. It consistently would lurch forward under hard acceleration, then die and fell like it lost all power. I got no CEL and when I set quick tune to 30 hp it would still do it. Fuel rail pressure was around 27,500. Possibly over but while checking the tuner for codes I reset my values. Could the pressure relief valve really remove enough fuel to make it do this? I stopped at my buddies shop and he said they just plug them and had never had an issue. He recalls doing one 2012. His mechanic has an 08 that he just plugged the pressure valve as well. Is this possibly my problem and do I shim, plug or replace the valve? Or is it something else?
    Did it hit 27500 or more and then fall down to less than 20000 psi when the engine went flat?

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Good question. I wasn't watching the gauge. Just checked the high limit.

11. Likes DRD liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Why not just plug it and run it and see if it fixes it?

13. Likes DRD liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Why not just plug it and run it and see if it fixes it?
    That may be the ticket but you have to be careful... If by chance the tune is the fault commanding too much rail pressure and you plug the relief, you can possibly blow an injector head off.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

15. Thanks TX NIGHT TRAIN thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

@Noneck Try monitoring the actual rail pressure vs the commanded rail pressure...see what you see.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

17. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast