Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Exhaust brake tune possible?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Exhaust brake tune possible?

On a 2017 with 68RFE the exhaust brake stops working at 11-1200 rpm as is normal. I really can't get it to work locked in first gear, second year I just rev to higher rpm to make it work and it usually turns off again( not good on steep switchbacks!). All others gears combos are normal.
    My previous 2015 stick shift held down to 900 rpm and was far superior on very slow, rough, steep roads with heavy trailers or overhead campers. You could walk it to a stop rather than jam and ride the service brakes on steep situations.
    So is it possible for a tuner to re set the exhaust brake to about 900 rpm and also work locked in first of second with the auto trans?
    This would be great for those that live in steep areas.
    Dealer said they won't touch it.
    Thanks.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust brake tune possible?

I believe you can have a tuner modify the transmission files to lock the converter in second gear.

However, when I was speaking with RevMax about this when I purchased my transmission from them they told me they don’t recommend it and that it would void the warranty on the transmission.

In tow haul the factory tuning will lock the converter and use the exhaust brake to the “bottom” of third gear.

This will typically get me down to about 20mph if given enough time.

After that, with the 68RFE, it’s on the service brakes from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

When I ran H&S MCC tuning on my 2012 it had 2nd gear lockup and it worked great for slowing down the fifth wheel.

MM3 Warp Tuning doesn't support 2nd gear lockup on 2010-12 trucks yet.

I'm not sure about 13 and newer.

You could email @DRD and ask Ray about it.

Now I'm wondering why RevMax doesn't recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Love my G56!

I hardly ever touch the brakes and the EB stays on down to low rpm’s.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Likes InlineSix.7, david3gen liked this post