Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Not the usual 68RFE Issue.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Not the usual 68RFE Issue.

The other day I was driving like normal from a take off at a stop sign it shifted up to 4th just fine then downshifted and it was showing the manual gear selector on 4 with the +- signs.

How ever I did not put it into manual mode. I put it in park and every time I put it in drive it goes straight to 1st gear showing manual mode and is locked in 1st.

The switch is unresponsive to up or down command and will not exit manual mode. Had to limp home in 1st gear. Engine off key on when shifted to drive it will go into first and get stuck there then go back to drive like normal for a couple seconds and back and forth until placed in another gear (p,r,n).

Never had this issue before it happened right after full delete and tune.

Anybody else experience this issue?

Any input greatly appreciated!

‘03 cummins. 4 door Laramie 6 speed (nv56) 4x4. Full custom 4” axle dump exhaust. Full custom intake. Edge juice with attitude. 100hp sticks. Raptor lift pump. Isl 8.9 FCA in 5.9 CP3. Devils own 2 stage water meth. Made 501hp and 1003lb-ft to the wheels. Custom lift. Helper bags and bilstien 5160 all around. 35x12.5x18.

’16 Cummins 4 door Laramie 4x4 68RFE. Full deletes and tune with mm3 by drd. 4” custom axle dump exhaust. 35x12.5x20 leveled.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Not the usual 68RFE Issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar2bamf View Post
    The other day I was driving like normal from a take off at a stop sign it shifted up to 4th just fine then downshifted and it was showing the manual gear selector on 4 with the +- signs.

How ever I did not put it into manual mode. I put it in park and every time I put it in drive it goes straight to 1st gear showing manual mode and is locked in 1st.

The switch is unresponsive to up or down command and will not exit manual mode. Had to limp home in 1st gear. Engine off key on when shifted to drive it will go into first and get stuck there then go back to drive like normal for a couple seconds and back and forth until placed in another gear (p,r,n).

Never had this issue before it happened right after full delete and tune.

Anybody else experience this issue?

Any input greatly appreciated!
    Try reloading your tunes again and make sure your batteries are fully charged before doing so.

Don’t know if that will help but it’s a start.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, 4kids2dogs&RV, Ar2bamf liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

What @watersupply189 said.

Get the truck on a battery charger when you do your tunes just to rule out any low voltage issues.

But reflash stock, disconnect batteries for 15 min, reconnect, restart, and see if the issue persists.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Try reloading your tunes again and make sure your batteries are fully charged before doing so.

Don’t know if that will help but it’s a start.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    It's funny you say that because I did do that a little bit ago and it started working just fine again but I was told has absolutely nothing to do with tunes. But it seems to be working now. I'm scared to death it will want to jump to 1st while driving on the highway.

Was hoping some one else had a similar issue and know where to go from here.

‘03 cummins. 4 door Laramie 6 speed (nv56) 4x4. Full custom 4” axle dump exhaust. Full custom intake. Edge juice with attitude. 100hp sticks. Raptor lift pump. Isl 8.9 FCA in 5.9 CP3. Devils own 2 stage water meth. Made 501hp and 1003lb-ft to the wheels. Custom lift. Helper bags and bilstien 5160 all around. 35x12.5x18.

’16 Cummins 4 door Laramie 4x4 68RFE. Full deletes and tune with mm3 by drd. 4” custom axle dump exhaust. 35x12.5x20 leveled.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It's funny you say that because I did do that a little bit ago and it started working just fine again but I was told has absolutely nothing to do with tunes. But it seems to be working now. I'm scared to death it will want to jump to 1st while driving on the highway.

I’m glad it’s working for you again friend!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It's highly unlikely that it will actually engage 1st gear at highway speeds.

Even in the event of a failure, the transmission should default neutral.

Same reason why you can put your selector lever in reverse doing 80 and your truck doesn't explode.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    It's highly unlikely that it will actually engage 1st gear at highway speeds.

Even in the event of a failure, the transmission should default neutral.

Same reason why you can put your selector lever in reverse doing 80 and your truck doesn't explode.
    Right, but when it first happened it downshifted and was well over 3k rpm I was only at 30ish mph when it happened but it still alowd it to happen. Paranoid now to say the least.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Right, but when it first happened it downshifted and was well over 3k rpm I was only at 30ish mph when it happened but it still alowd it to happen. Paranoid now to say the least.
    Only time I have ever witnessed a forced downshift is if the "minus" button was being held down on the shifter.
    Have you considered disassembling your shifter lever and disconnecting that button? Any other unintended gear change would be overrode by the failure protocols in the TCM + hardware.

15. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Only time I have ever witnessed a forced downshift is if the "minus" button was being held down on the shifter.
    Have you considered disassembling your shifter lever and disconnecting that button? Any other unintended gear change would be overrode by the failure protocols in the TCM + hardware.
    I have contemplated disconnecting the switch. I'm going to ride it out on the street for a few days try to duplicate it and see what happens. It stopped doing it after I reloaded my tunes.

17. Likes watersupply189, RamIt liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have contemplated disconnecting the switch. I'm going to ride it out on the street for a few days try to duplicate it and see what happens. It stopped doing it after I reloaded my tunes.
    Yeah if it persists, I would try disconnecting that switch and see if it goes away for good.

If not, you might be talking about something that exceeds a user fixable item.

19. Thanks Ar2bamf thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post