Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filter life

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel filter life

Just wanted to ask about fuel filters. My truck only has 8,000 miles on it and the fuel filter life in the evic is down to 40% this seems to be a bit low. Does the computer adjust the filter life by mileage, operating hours or by some other way? Thanks

2016 Tradesman 6.7 manual. Pile of parts waiting to be installed.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel filter life

im pretty sure it is either by hours or estimated fuel consumption.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have always changed fuel filters every 10,000 miles not a bit over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Do em when you change your oil. But @Cummins7 is right, it's based on consumption. If you do a lot of city driving your going to bring the filter value down faster.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Now correct me if I'm wrong guys. (and I know you will)

But I was understanding that it was determined by the pressure differential (pressure before the filter verses after the filter) that determines the percentage and replacement recommendation of the filter. The higher the differential pressure, equals more trash in the flter, thus more restriction of the flow.

So when the percentage/dash warning says to change the filter, there is enough material collected in the filter paper to indicate beginning of plugage. And you change then or before to make sure you have filtered flow.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Now correct me if I'm wrong guys. (and I know you will)

But I was understanding that it was determined by the pressure differential (pressure before the filter verses after the filter) that determines the percentage and replacement recommendation of the filter. The higher the differential pressure, equals more trash in the flter, thus more restriction of the flow.

So when the percentage/dash warning says to change the filter, there is enough material collected in the filter paper to indicate beginning of plugage. And you change then or before to make sure you have filtered flow.
    That's an interesting theory. Im not sure if that's the case or not. Everything I've seen seems to base off miles and consumption, but you may be onto something!

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    That's an interesting theory. Im not sure if that's the case or not. Everything I've seen seems to base off miles and consumption, but you may be onto something!

X2 on that, but sounds possible also.

Although our trucks have 2 would make it act funky if only one was more clogged than the other, but in theory still could be possible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I worked in a refinery for decades. We had a lot of equipment that had pressure differential alarms to tell us when it was time to change out filters. Each piece of equipment was worth thousand(s) of dollars each, so something as simple as a filter change out was critical. Having two filters on one line wasn't unusual at all, either.

The filtering systems we have on our trucks today would be considered an ancient designs compared to many other systems, since it only involves a flow in, filtering and a flow out. With an additional filter also in line, or a filter with two filter elements involved doesn't matter, it's still a simple design and function.

So since the filtering differential alarm (or monitoring as it would be in this case) using a pre-70's mechanical design alarm is very possible. After all, it would only be design to let you know the filter is plugging and by a guess as to the presentage of the amount, then the next step is for you understanding what the alarm means and to know what to do.

If this is the basis of the alarm ... then it is a very basic and ancient design .. placed in a modern vehicle.

But like I said, I really don't know and only guessing what it is in the system.
    All I have heard was it tell you what the % of the oil life / filter life is, and hoping you know if it needs to be change.
    I'm hoping to understand the actual function by someone that is actually knowledgable in this topic, and that is why I'm here.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I worked in a refinery for decades. We had a lot of equipment that had pressure differential alarms to tell us when it was time to change out filters. Each piece of equipment was worth thousand(s) of dollars each, so something as simple as a filter change out was critical. Having two filters on one line wasn't unusual at all, either.

The filtering systems we have on our trucks today would be considered an ancient designs compared to many other systems, since it only involves a flow in, filtering and a flow out. With an additional filter also in line, or a filter with two filter elements involved doesn't matter, it's still a simple design and function.

So since the filtering differential alarm (or monitoring as it would be in this case) using a pre-70's mechanical design alarm is very possible. After all, it would only be design to let you know the filter is plugging and by a guess as to the presentage of the amount, then the next step is for you understanding what the alarm means and to know what to do.

If this is the basis of the alarm ... then it is a very basic and ancient design .. placed in a modern vehicle.

But like I said, I really don't know and only guessing what it is in the system.
    All I have heard was it tell you what the % of the oil life / filter life is, and hoping you know if it needs to be change.
    I'm hoping to understand the actual function by someone that is actually knowledgable in this topic, and that is why I'm here.
    I'm an operator at a refinery and I think a simple differential gauge would be great. My truck only has one fuel filter and as far as I know, my 2012 doesn't have an alarm or maybe I just have never pushed the DP to get that high and I change mine every other oil change.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Under the system I mentioned, it can either activate an alarm, a sensor reading or what ever they deside to activate.

Now my truck is 6 years older than yours, and don't have those fang dangle things call alarms or monitors and such for filters ... but the manual recommends changing it every time you change oil, or maximum 15k. (if you work it hard and change oil sooner then going my maximum mileage is recommended.) What's your manual say ?

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast