Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Turbo Problem

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Problem

I have a 2015 2500 Cummins with a manual transmission. I bought it new and pretty much immediately did a full delete with a RaceMe ultra and 5” tbe. After the delete, I had terrible VGT problems and fought with it for over a year until I got custom tunes from Double R Diesel. I have been running those tunes for a while now. The other day, my engine light came on with a bunch of codes the codes all seem to be related to my turbo(P003A, P00AF, P2509, and U010C). I also noticed that my exhaust brake and turbo are not functioning properly. They work about half the time and the other half of the time the VGT just stays in one position and I dont get exhaust braking or hardly any boost.

After doing a little research on here, I have heard most people with these types of codes get advised to replace or rebuild the turbo. Has anyone had any luck fixing these issues without replacing or rebuilding the turbo?

I reached out to Dudes Diesel Performance and he said basically the same thing. He said I rebuild or replace. As for replacing, he mentioned a couple different options. Obviously there is the oem style replacement with VGT, but he also mentioned a non VGT aftermarket turbo and a 2nd gen swap option. I know the VGT is what gives me the exhaust brake, but what else does it really do for me? As much trouble as I had with it early on, I am not terribly attached to it, but I would like to keep my exhaust brake. As for the 2nd gen swap, what is the benefit of doing this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Problem

Quote Originally Posted by wkb1984 View Post
    I have a 2015 2500 Cummins with a manual transmission. I bought it new and pretty much immediately did a full delete with a RaceMe ultra and 5” tbe. After the delete, I had terrible VGT problems and fought with it for over a year until I got custom tunes from Double R Diesel. I have been running those tunes for a while now. The other day, my engine light came on with a bunch of codes the codes all seem to be related to my turbo(P003A, P00AF, P2509, and U010C). I also noticed that my exhaust brake and turbo are not functioning properly. They work about half the time and the other half of the time the VGT just stays in one position and I dont get exhaust braking or hardly any boost.

After doing a little research on here, I have heard most people with these types of codes get advised to replace or rebuild the turbo. Has anyone had any luck fixing these issues without replacing or rebuilding the turbo?

I reached out to Dudes Diesel Performance and he said basically the same thing. He said I rebuild or replace. As for replacing, he mentioned a couple different options. Obviously there is the oem style replacement with VGT, but he also mentioned a non VGT aftermarket turbo and a 2nd gen swap option. I know the VGT is what gives me the exhaust brake, but what else does it really do for me? As much trouble as I had with it early on, I am not terribly attached to it, but I would like to keep my exhaust brake. As for the 2nd gen swap, what is the benefit of doing this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The whole purpose of the VGT was to warm up the engine faster and to maintain a certain exhaust temp through that process. It was all for the tree huggers. So with doing that, they incorporated it into the system to act as an exhaust brake.

Clayton is right with his options. There are people that have gone 200K+ on a stock turbo. They don't require much care, except for exercise which it sounds like you were doing. Your previous tune may have screwed it up. It's a shame Ray didn't get in there sooner. That said, my suggestion would be to go to a new or quality rebuilt VGT Turbo. Since it sounds like you rely on it, that would be my suggestion.
    @Dude's Diesel Performance has a pretty good rebuilder from what I hear. Don't skimp on the rebuilder as there are many fly-by-nights out there. Or get an OE new from Clayton.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

There is a cleaning procedure for the VGT but it is more of a bandaid than a fix. By the time it gets to the point it's throwing codes the real damage is done. If you don't want another VGT your other option is to replace with a regular turbo and add a stand alone exhaust brake.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am planning on this when my stock VGT fails:
    SteedSpeed Exhaust manifold
    Fleece Cheetah 63mm VGT turbo