Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Can you cut stock nerf bars?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Can you cut stock nerf bars?

I have an odd question. Has anyone ever cut their stock nerf bars? I have a 2014 with Husky flaps and 37's. I just recently put a larger Zone lift on the truck and have a little more room for the flaps now. When I ran my 37's with the smaller lift I had to cut and mold the flaps so the tires didn't rip them off. Even with the larger lift the new Husky flaps are still too close to the tires. I would love to put a set of Amp XL steps on but until I can afford two grand for steps I figured I could cut the front two or three inches off the stock bars and put the cap back in. This should give me enough room for the flap. I hope!! I am worried that when I cut the stock steps that something bad will happen ( rust, flaking, etc.). Anyone have any experience with this? or a used set of AMP steps they want to sell. LOL

Thanks

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Can you cut stock nerf bars?

Well I guess you could cut the end off and put the cap back on but you will probably get rust started and the steps will look uneven on the truck. Just my opinion...

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I think you can count on them rusting. But it's essentially a free mod so if they don't last but a year or 2 like that it gives you time to save up for replacement steps. I personally love my amp steps! I got lucky that I found a guy wanting to trade amp steps for my factory chrome bars, even trade. I used up all my good luck on that day

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I think you can count on them rusting. But it's essentially a free mod so if they don't last but a year or 2 like that it gives you time to save up for replacement steps. I personally love my amp steps! I got lucky that I found a guy wanting to trade amp steps for my factory chrome bars, even trade. I used up all my good luck on that day
    LOL yea you did, excellent trade. BTW I love my AMP steps too. I think I got mine for $1,400 less than a year ago, are they $2,000 now? @Owen208 if your plan is to replace them later, the rust should not be a problem, I would cut them.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

8. Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I think I will probably just cut them and deal with what happens. It may force me to buy the new steps sooner. The normal AMP steps I believe are still around $1400 or so but I would like the AMP XL steps. They are around $1800 plus the OBD plug pass through kit I will need since I have a tuner plugged in o the original.
    However if anyone comes across the sweet AMP steps for stock please let me know!! LOL

Thanks for the help!!!

10. Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owen208 View Post
    I think I will probably just cut them and deal with what happens. It may force me to buy the new steps sooner. The normal AMP steps I believe are still around $1400 or so but I would like the AMP XL steps. They are around $1800 plus the OBD plug pass through kit I will need since I have a tuner plugged in o the original.
    However if anyone comes across the sweet AMP steps for stock please let me know!! LOL

Thanks for the help!!!
    We expect pics when you get done!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post