Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clunking when depressing clutch 2nd to 3rd

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Clunking when depressing clutch 2nd to 3rd

Not sure if it has anything to do with it or just pure coincidence but I just deleted over the weekend. An odd clunk has developed while depressing the clutch shifting from second to third. Shifting is still smooth and it doesnt happen going into any other gears although I havent tried first to second. I havent been romping on it and havent taken it off the 30hp setting so I dont think I could have broken anything. Any ideas? Is this normal? Theres only 41k on the truck.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member Controlled_Pair253's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Clunking when depressing clutch 2nd to 3rd

Clunking in the pedal, or the shifter?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    Not sure if it has anything to do with it or just pure coincidence but I just deleted over the weekend. An odd clunk has developed while depressing the clutch shifting from second to third. Shifting is still smooth and it doesnt happen going into any other gears although I havent tried first to second. I havent been romping on it and havent taken it off the 30hp setting so I dont think I could have broken anything. Any ideas? Is this normal? Theres only 41k on the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Controlled_Pair253 View Post
    Clunking in the pedal, or the shifter?

Yeah Not enough information. Year, model, mods, what trans. And they wonder why nobody answers them. Grumpy has spoken

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Yeah Not enough information. Year, model, mods, what trans. And they wonder why nobody answers them. Grumpy has spoken
    Hahahah, I figured you would pop in with the goods!!

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Looks like it is a 13 Gen 4 G56, ccsb based on his handle.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Clunking sounds like its coming from the clutch. All other pertinent information is in my sig.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Clunking sounds like its coming from the clutch. All other pertinent information is in my sig.
    I'm assuming it's the stock clutch based on miles, if it's an aftermarket clutch it has aftermarket hydraulics. Quite possibly need to adjust the clutch. I can tell you it's not normal though. I have a phoenix friction stage 4 and its smooth as butter. By chance have to looked at the driveline? If the carrier bearing, or a u joint might be going. I know that when my u joints were on their way out, I felt it in my clutch pedal. Might be that you happen to feel it from 2-3 because you always start in 2 (so do I, unless under a heavy load) and not in 3-4 because your rolling fast enough to not notice it.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Yeah thats the one thing i came up with searching online but most were clunking when letting the clutch out, mine is clunking when pressing in. I’m going to check anyway.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah thats the one thing i came up with searching online but most were clunking when letting the clutch out, mine is clunking when pressing in. I’m going to check anyway.
    I felt that clunk pushing in and letting out, at 40k, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the carrier was shot. It seems early, but stranger things have happened

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Hahahah, I figured you would pop in with the goods!!

Looks like it is a 13 Gen 4 G56, ccsb based on his handle.

I'm assuming it's the stock clutch based on miles, if it's an aftermarket clutch it has aftermarket hydraulics. Quite possibly need to adjust the clutch. I can tell you it's not normal though. I have a phoenix friction stage 4 and its smooth as butter. By chance have to looked at the driveline? If the carrier bearing, or a u joint might be going. I know that when my u joints were on their way out, I felt it in my clutch pedal. Might be that you happen to feel it from 2-3 because you always start in 2 (so do I, unless under a heavy load) and not in 3-4 because your rolling fast enough to not notice it.

OK Let me be more direct. IN the future, include all the info about your truck with the problem. You are assuming we can see your sig. I cannot see it. Since I am the one who spends a great deal of time answering tech questions, I don't have time to search a post and consult the crystal ball. i have other responsibilities here too.

For 6 years It's been a problem and many times I make a bad call because people can't include all the info. The old timers know I forgot more than many will know. I admit 4th gens are my weak point in some areas. That's ONLY because they approach things in a different way, especially electrical. I'm not trying to blow my horn, I am not trying to tick you off. I need to make intelligent answers. Of course, I've only owned 14 Cummins Rams in my time. Throw in a couple of Dakota's for my business, restored 6 cars in the worst environment you can imagine. I'm talking about fixing everything. All systems with paint. I don't do upholstery, but know how.

The next time you need help, PLEASE keep this in mind. Only yesterday someone complained because nobody answered his questions. When I look them up, they were pretty cryptic. YOU need to remember, we are not sitting in your truck. YOU are the eyes, ears, foot, Jeans Gauge. We have to go by the info you tell us. Trust me. It's not that hard. Assumption is a bad word.

End Rant.

ball-crystal-faceted.jpg

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast