Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  203
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who All Is Running A Coolant Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CanDiesel View Post
    Pics of the install would be awesome.

In other news I priced out a few parts for a DIY kit and there really doesn't appear to be much savings over just shelling out for a sinister kit. Maybe 30 or 40 bucks that I'd spend on diesel and junk food running around for parts anyway LOL

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
    I find that that is usually the case, good to know.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    There are two reasons I have a coolant filter system on my truck and promote it to anyone that wants to know.

When they make the engine, they sand cast it and the end process is to high pressure clean it. But one of the issue is they can't get all the sand out. Sand can be in the surface of the metal. Then during the normal running if the engine, with the expansion and contraction of the block, over time, the sand will come loose and flow with the coolant. When this hits parts like the water pump, it gets ground down to smaller particles and acts like an abrasive material to the pump impeller and bearings.

And when you put the inlet for the coolant filter system inbetween #5 and #6 cylinder, you actually increase the flow of coolant to the back of the engine block where it is naturally a lesser flow and hotter than the rest of the engine.

And as a bonus, if you forget the filter and let's say it plugs, nothing will happen, you back to a stock flow until you change it.

The first time I installed the unit, I change the filter after 6 months and then at the one year mark. No, there wasn't a mass amount of debris in the filter. But there was a few pieces. And I change the filter each year and have found a few pieces of debris in each filter. This doesn't amount to something like a teaspoon on material, but material that can be ground down and over time wear parts out. (I found material in the filter last summer, and at that time my truck was 12 years old) This, even though I flush and change coolant every other year. In my eyes, it is doing what it was installed to do ... clean loose debris and helps cools the rear of the block.

Do you need this on your truck .. NO.
    Will it benefit your truck over time .. I believe so after what I've seen.

I run a coolant filter on mine for the same reasons anoldbiker does i have found on the first change(6 months) It did indeed split it open there was a lot of crap in it the second time (6 months later) not nearly as much junk in there
    third time (1 year later) even less the the second
    so i'd say its doing its job
    hope that helps

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

4. Thanks AnOldBiker, CanDiesel thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Yeah I think I'm going to do it. Right now I have a sinister egr/cooler delete kit, GDP airboss 67, GDP grid heater relocate, weathertech mudflaps and a diesel fuelbfikter kit sitting in the garage. I just got home from be away at work for two weeks. Once I have everything else done I'm going to get the dealer to do a coolant flush and I'm going to add the coolant filter.

Oh and I forgot to mention I did my rear diff cover/fluid change last days off. Still have yo do the front different and transfer case haha

Busy busy!

Edit:

I uploaded a picture of the filter kit as shipped. Cost me an arm and a leg with shipping and duties. I would have loved to just make it myself but I don't have a tube bender etc etc. Regardless the parts all seem to be the very best. The bracket, hoses, fittings.. Everything appears to be top notch quality.

Ill post some pics once I get it installed

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

6. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Got my Sinister kit from @Dude's Diesel Performance couple days ago, planning to install this weekend. Pics to follow....

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels

7. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

I'm due a filter change on mine in about 1k miles. I'll cut it open and post some pix. This will be the 1st filter change to go 1 year in my system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

8. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    I'm due a filter change on mine in about 1k miles. I'll cut it open and post some pix. This will be the 1st filter change to go 1 year in my system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That would be be aesome. Did you do the initial 500 mile filter change as well?

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

9. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CanDiesel View Post
    That would be be aesome. Did you do the initial 500 mile filter change as well?

Yes, I changed at 500 and again at 1k, next one will be 25k.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Looking at the instructions the lines connect to the vent on top of the EGR cooler tube, but on the 2017 (maybe earlier models too) there is a hose here that connects to the coolant reservoir bottle. Has anyone tapped into the heater core line to install the filter?

Brent

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Finally got around to cutting open my 25k mile coolant filter I changed out a couple of months ago.

Pix aren't great, but there is definitely a lot of very dirt and particles built up inside the 25k one.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    Got my Sinister kit from @Dude's Diesel Performance couple days ago, planning to install this weekend. Pics to follow....
    Any chance we can get those pictures?

Maybe a description on which lines you cut?

Thanks a bunch

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

14. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast