Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Poor Fuel Economy?

1. Top Of Page | #41

User Info Menu

Re: Poor Fuel Economy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post
    What made ya switch to 4.10's on 285's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My truck is the high output. Came stock with 4.10. Last on the lot and everyone wanted the 4.10 to throw on 37" with their lifts. For my everyday grind I should have gone with the 3.73. But I got a deal on my truck. Next year I'm doing a BDS 6" and 35. Should be good for the gearing.

2012 Ram 3500 HO w/4.10
    Hellbent 2.5 level Bilstein 5100's
    Double R Diesel Warp tunes
    HPP egr delete
    FloPro 5" w/muffler
    CCV filter delete hose reroute to frame

2. Top Of Page | #42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob See View Post
    My truck is the high output. Came stock with 4.10. Last on the lot and everyone wanted the 4.10 to throw on 37" with their lifts. For my everyday grind I should have gone with the 3.73. But I got a deal on my truck. Next year I'm doing a BDS 6" and 35. Should be good for the gearing.
    Oh I see! Yeah 35's will go great with the 4.10. I'm about to throw 37's on mine with 3.73. Depending on how much it lugs I'll prob regear but I want to try it firsy

3. Top Of Page | #43

User Info Menu

Oh I see! Yeah 35's will go great with the 4.10. I'm about to throw 37's on mine with 3.73. Depending on how much it lugs I'll prob regear but I want to try it firsy

My dad has an 09 with 3.73. He went up one from stock running 285 70 17 and pulling our small boat up a steep hill below our town he can hold 60mph wot. He used to be able to accelerate up that hill now it doesn't. My truck with 285 75 17 could do 85-90. Now it'll probably do 110 and blow head gasket LOL.

2012 Ram 3500 HO w/4.10
    Hellbent 2.5 level Bilstein 5100's
    Double R Diesel Warp tunes
    HPP egr delete
    FloPro 5" w/muffler
    CCV filter delete hose reroute to frame

4. Top Of Page | #44

User Info Menu

Turbo spools as it should and is linear with main quantity under acceleration

Well there's your problem. You are accelerating.

I would start with a 5% PW reduction. You'll notice less smoke, and your turbo will drop in PSI a bit. I'm cruising on flats at 65 with only 4 PSI + or - steady speeds. My EGT's are down in the 500 range. Right now, it's hard to get them over 1000. Almost no smoke at all, but 03's were known for that. Don't be alarmed with the boost. The lower it is, the cleaner it's running. The more smoke, the more fuel wasted. 6.7's seem to smoke allot more than the 5.9's. H & S had a MPG tune for the Black Maxx. I beta tested it and it went with the truck.

PW is a crap shoot is you go too far. I would baby step it. After the first 10%, start doing 2.5% reductions. Just keep an ear on it for timing rattle. If it starts to rattle, you could damage pistons. If you go that far, retard the timing a few degrees. Or go back to the previous tune. Which ever runs better.

I don't drive the Millennium Falcon, but it is pretty snappy. I figure I'm in the 450 HP range on my 5.9. I also have +50 sticks I got from @Accurate Diesel. Ray did a wonderful job on this, but he's not doing 3rd gens anymore. You 4th Gen guys have him all tied up. LOL Thanks allot! I've done some homework on what he's done. There is no harm caused. It's not a gasser where you can lean it out too much easily. Well sorta. It's a complicated blend.

Your engine will quiet down even more so a timing knock will be easy to catch

The last time I got into the flat lands for a distance, I got 25.5 Hand. I can't wait to see what this latest reduction is going to do. I might be at my target. Take that Prius

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes Rob See, Power247, david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Well there's your problem. You are accelerating.

I would start with a 5% PW reduction. You'll notice less smoke, and your turbo will drop in PSI a bit. I'm cruising on flats at 65 with only 4 PSI + or - steady speeds. My EGT's are down in the 500 range. Right now, it's hard to get them over 1000. Almost no smoke at all, but 03's were known for that. Don't be alarmed with the boost. The lower it is, the cleaner it's running. The more smoke, the more fuel wasted. 6.7's seem to smoke allot more than the 5.9's. H & S had a MPG tune for the Black Maxx. I beta tested it and it went with the truck.

PW is a crap shoot is you go too far. I would baby step it. After the first 10%, start doing 2.5% reductions. Just keep an ear on it for timing rattle. If it starts to rattle, you could damage pistons. If you go that far, retard the timing a few degrees. Or go back to the previous tune. Which ever runs better.

I don't drive the Millennium Falcon, but it is pretty snappy. I figure I'm in the 450 HP range on my 5.9. I also have +50 sticks I got from @Accurate Diesel. Ray did a wonderful job on this, but he's not doing 3rd gens anymore. You 4th Gen guys have him all tied up. LOL Thanks allot! I've done some homework on what he's done. There is no harm caused. It's not a gasser where you can lean it out too much easily. Well sorta. It's a complicated blend.

Your engine will quiet down even more so a timing knock will be easy to catch

The last time I got into the flat lands for a distance, I got 25.5 Hand. I can't wait to see what this latest reduction is going to do. I might be at my target. Take that Prius
    I've got my tuning figured out pretty well now. Getting 16-18 hand calculated. And EGT's are cool.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, david3gen liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345