Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pretty bad oil leak!!!! HELP!!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Pretty bad oil leak!!!! HELP!!!!

Hey guys I'm new to the Cummins family, I just bought a 99 3500 2wd 5spd. One of my main concerns is that I'm losing a bunch of oil. It doesn't leave a puddle under the truck but it does have some spots under it when parked. Now I've read up on the 24v oil leak on the left hand side dripping. But mine drips on the the right hand side of the motor. I have noticed that the turbo oil return line is wet at the top where it bolts to the turbo but I can't amagine that I'm loosing that much oil from just that. But I also have another question as well. My truck does white smoke a lil while idling and when I take off after sitting for a good 10min straight it'll shoot out a thick white smoke. But after that it turns black again. I'm wondering if I have bad rings and burning my oil up thus causing the white smoke. Any insight is apreciated thanks guys!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Pretty bad oil leak!!!! HELP!!!!

@Navaho19, Do you know if you have a 53 block? Some of those year models were made with a bad block, the 53 block start to crack in the right side of the motor right under the freeze plugs. You can google 53 block cummins and you will see pics where the crack is located. If it's not cracked I would start to look around the gear case cover on the front of the motor.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Don't see a crack in the side of the block, and also wouldn't I notice a huge difference in power due to compression loss? I'll see if I can post a pic of where it's wet on the pass side under the turbo. Also how would I know if I have a 53block

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navaho19 View Post
    Don't see a crack in the side of the block, and also wouldn't I notice a huge difference in power due to compression loss? I'll see if I can post a pic of where it's wet on the pass side under the turbo. Also how would I know if I have a 53block
    53 will be stamped on the block somewhere right above the oil pan mine is on the left side of the block close to the front of the motor. It could be in the right side or the left on the front or towards the back of the block.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It's a 53 block ��������. A buddy of mine said that the white smoke was raw fuel rather than burnt oil bc burnt oil is blueish. I noticed yesterday a diesel smell in the cab and decided to check the motor and found that injector 5 was a Lil loose. Gave it a bump with the wrench and it was good hopefully that will solve the white smoke issue. But I'm pretty sure the oil leak is from my oil return line on the turbo. So Ina change the seals out and try cleaning it for the millionth time LOL