Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  24
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New to this site and to Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #61

User Info Menu

Ok I shot the parts cannon at it with no luck . But I pulled my head out of my *** and did a compression test on all 6 cyls. This time and low and behold #1 cyl only has 350 psi other 5 cyls. Have 500 psi give or take a psi or too. With a scan tool how do you perform a cyl contribution test correctly when I try it just says test aborted/timed out any thoughts on any of this?

Sent from my crib

2. Top Of Page | #62
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear the bad news. I'm sure you did already, but would compression test that cylinder again, just to verify results - you could follow that up with a cylinder leak down test to identify the source of the lost compression. At this point, I see no further value in performing cylinder contribution tests since a mechanical issue has been determined.

3. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Sorry to hear the bad news. I'm sure you did already, but would compression test that cylinder again, just to verify results - you could follow that up with a cylinder leak down test to identify the source of the lost compression. At this point, I see no further value in performing cylinder contribution tests since a mechanical issue has been determined.
    Yes I agree comp test it again then leak down , and hopefully not a lot of tear down I'll update when I have results

Sent by me

5. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Ok well it's time to pull the head and evaluate the damage I got my fingers crossed that the cylinder isn't to bad. It would be great if a fast home job would take care of it I'll find out soon. Anyone had this happen ? How bad did it look? Mine has very few miles sense this problem started.

Sent by me

6. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Ok wait a minute my problem coming and going could that be a carbon buildup issue? Compression is low. But not horrible has some leak down but not excessive, a buddy said just hook up my RV and go tow it for a few hrs on freeway. Thoughts?

Sent from my crib

7. Top Of Page | #66
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Ok wait a minute my problem coming and going could that be a carbon buildup issue? Compression is low. But not horrible has some leak down but not excessive, a buddy said just hook up my RV and go tow it for a few hrs on freeway. Thoughts?

Sent from my crib
    Sorry been awol for a bit... Been hectic at work. As for hooking up a load, so long as there are no indications to show that you might cause more damage by doing so, it's a great idea. The cummins does its best and will survive the longest when worked on a regular basis. Once it's warmed up if it's still not quite running right go out and put your foot into it a bit. Rod hard for a couple of shifts, 0-60 runs, whatever floats your boat to kinda blow it out. That'll give you an indication on if hooking up a load will be a good idea or not

Sent from a Well Head

8. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

I'm pulling the head the day after x-mas . Don't know why I didn't think of this before I turbocharged my Honda many years back and during the tuning process I ran into a smoking issue like in my truck. The Honda smoked at idle or anytime under vacuumed but still made huge power well upon teardown I found that the smoke was caused by a broken compression ring on one cyl. And I remember it like it was yesterday and that seems to be what my truck is doing currently. So remove head inspect for damage pull #1 piston and probably find a broken ring is my guess all caused by a bad injector I'm assuming. But I'll let you all know after x-mas. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everybody

Sent from my crib

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

Good luck man. Merry Christmas!!!

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post