Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Which year 5.9

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Which year 5.9

I'm going to be looking to purchase a truck around November next year. I want to find a 5.9 cummins, with the manual behind it. I'm trying to find the best year to stay under 12000 and still get a nice truck to last me for a while. Help is needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Honestly it's just going to be a matter of preference, looking around and how well it's been taken care of. Every year is capable of 1million dependable miles, just depends on how well previous owner took care of it. Best advice I can give you is to just keep your eyes open, don't limit yourself to just a few years... If your stuck on an 03-05 you could miss out on a beautiful 97 or even say 91-92 12v that's been meticulously serviced and taken care of

Sent from a Well Head

3. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree with Wildkarrd RRD. But remember, if you want something specific as a manual, certain options inside and such, it's used and your selection is only what you find. So it is limited. And I very much agree with the maintaince of the prior owner(s) as to if you really get a deal or not. But consider this, what is the real reason they are selling it ? Some do want to step up, can't afford it anymore, have no need for it and so on. Be careful of the reason. For once it's yours, all that comes with it is yours. Problems and all. Might be worth having the cash to have a good mechanic checking it out once you find something you really like. (unless your a qualified mechanic). Good Luck.

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Which year 5.9

@Polaraco has a what to look for guide floating around igota somewhere

Sent from a Well Head

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree with all above. I have had good luck in the past, and have found you can't be too picky with used. I also have a preference for a stock tuck so I know it was not abused, or built in a poor order that could have caused unnecessary damage or stress.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    Honestly it's just going to be a matter of preference, looking around and how well it's been taken care of. Every year is capable of 1million dependable miles, just depends on how well previous owner took care of it. Best advice I can give you is to just keep your eyes open, don't limit yourself to just a few years... If your stuck on an 03-05 you could miss out on a beautiful 97 or even say 91-92 12v that's been meticulously serviced and taken care of

Sent from a Well Head
    Well said Drew

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    @Polaraco has a what to look for guide floating around igota somewhere

Sent from a Well Head
    http://igotacummins.com/showthread.p...AT-TO-LOOK-FOR

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Thanks anthony.warner19 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post