Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New to this site and to Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Another thing I forgot to mention is the blowby almost completely goes away once the motor is warmed up

Sent by me

2. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dawgs Performance View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Luke

Sent from my crib

3. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

So still haven't received my compression tester adaptor yet but I did get my snap-on digital bores cope camera so while I have number 3 injector out I'm gonna run the lighted right angle cam down in there and do some looking I won't be able to see the head or valves but I'll have a lighted and colored video to look at as I rotate it around while its down in the cylinder. I hope this will tell me exactly which way to go with this repair otherwise off with the head Quick question for anyone out there would a burnt exhaust valve be the cause of my blowby or just piston/cyl damage. Thanks I'll remove the injector and look inside thisweekend

Sent from my crib

4. Top Of Page | #34
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    So still haven't received my compression tester adaptor yet but I did get my snap-on digital bores cope camera so while I have number 3 injector out I'm gonna run the lighted right angle cam down in there and do some looking I won't be able to see the head or valves but I'll have a lighted and colored video to look at as I rotate it around while its down in the cylinder. I hope this will tell me exactly which way to go with this repair otherwise off with the head Quick question for anyone out there would a burnt exhaust valve be the cause of my blowby or just piston/cyl damage. Thanks I'll remove the injector and look inside thisweekend

Sent from my crib
    I don't see how it could. The valve not seating would cause some other problems, but since it would be allowing gasses, fuel, etc... By it would if anything alleviate blow by thru the CCV.

Sent from a Well Head

5. Top Of Page | #35
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just thought of something. Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this....
    You bought the truck and it had the rough idle, and excessive blow by. Since then you've driven it around when needed, resulting in one instance where it started running like a top after a bit longer trip/run time, but that was an isolated incident that hasn't happened again. Since buying the truck it has not been serviced or otherwise touched except for computer communication diagnosis and repair. Injector kill tests results in #3 cylinder fault... If all this is correct, you may have a few smaller problems instead of just one big one. The injector could be bad, true, but the blow by could simply be caused by wrong or really old oil. What's your oil look like? Have you noticed that it's been using oil? Idk, just a thought. Unless I'm missing something a quick oil change with even the cheapest 15w40 and crap filter will clean things up. And if it doesn't change anything, well you used cheap crap that you were going to drain out anyway.

Sent from a Well Head

6. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

I did do an oil change the old oil looked horrible I thought about changing it a few times like every few hrs of run time or something it does consume oil how much and how fast I'm not sure only have about 4 or 5 hrs. On it since it purchased it. And the one time it ran like a top I could be mistaken I recently noticed when I start it cold or after it sits for several hrs. When it starts it runs real rough like maybe a 4 cyl or something . My guess is possibly a leaking injector causing the rail pressure to fall to far . When you start it cold and runs like on 4 cyl if I tap the throttle it runs like on 5cyl so the time I thought it ran perfectly it is very possible that I may be mistaken other than that you got it nailed also my previous mention of an oil shower when I remove the oil cap is extremely it just splatters oil on the valve cover not on me. Could a bad crankcase ventilation system component be plugged causing some or most of the blowby?

Sent from my crib

8. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    Just thought of something. Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this....
    You bought the truck and it had the rough idle, and excessive blow by. Since then you've driven it around when needed, resulting in one instance where it started running like a top after a bit longer trip/run time, but that was an isolated incident that hasn't happened again. Since buying the truck it has not been serviced or otherwise touched except for computer communication diagnosis and repair. Injector kill tests results in #3 cylinder fault... If all this is correct, you may have a few smaller problems instead of just one big one. The injector could be bad, true, but the blow by could simply be caused by wrong or really old oil. What's your oil look like? Have you noticed that it's been using oil? Idk, just a thought. Unless I'm missing something a quick oil change with even the cheapest 15w40 and crap filter will clean things up. And if it doesn't change anything, well you used cheap crap that you were going to drain out anyway.

Sent from a Well Head
    Forgot to quote you

Sent from my crib

9. Top Of Page | #38
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

LOL, still got it, no worries. Yea, if something along the CCV is plugged that pressure has to go somewhere. Is there anything coming out of the tube? If there's that much out of the oil cap, but not much out of the tube then yea, I'd say something is blocked. But if that was the case is expect it would be pushing the dipstick out on you.

Sent from a Well Head

10. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Yea smoke comes out the tube and some oil but the oil that has came out isn't a lot only the Trans cooler lines are wet the front axle doesn't have any wet spots from oil and it is directly underneath the draft tube. Any parts of the cv system I should inspect for problems?

Sent from my crib

11. Top Of Page | #40
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

There's really nothing to it. A check valve of sorts the fitting and the hose. If there's smoke coming out and dripping oil, I'd say it's working fine.

Sent from a Well Head

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast