Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto-engage turbo exhaust brake at start up

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Auto-engage turbo exhaust brake at start up

I just read about this and wanted to ask the question here. Have any of you custom MCC tuners tried this yet???

***tuning is written to close up the VGT when it sees 0% throttle and 1000RPM. It works really well.***
    @Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I just read about this and wanted to ask the question here. Have any of you custom MCC tuners tried this yet???

***tuning is written to close up the VGT when it sees 0% throttle and 1000RPM. It works really well.***
    @Double R Diesel
    Never tried it. I could do it in 5 min with my computer. Just set the min closed position maps with a high number in the no/low load settings between idle and 1000 rpms.

I wouldn't want it personally because I don't want my truck to sound like a hair dryer off throttle...but that's me. I guess some folks would like it.

Edit note...
    It wouldn't be a good idea for any turbo to really start spinning up hard on a cold start. The turbo bearings really need chance for the oil to warm up and circulate efficiently. Guys that have their trucks engaging the turbo aggressively at start up and stepping up to high idle quickly are not taking care of a turbo in my opinion.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Never tried it. I could do it in 5 min with my computer. Just set the min closed position maps with a high number in the no/low load settings between idle and 1000 rpms.

I wouldn't want it personally because I don't want my truck to sound like a hair dryer off throttle...but that's me. I guess some folks would like it.

Edit note...
    It wouldn't be a good idea for any turbo to really start spinning up hard on a cold start. The turbo bearings really need chance for the oil to warm up and circulate efficiently. Guys that have their trucks engaging the turbo aggressively at start up and stepping up to high idle quickly are not taking care of a turbo in my opinion.
    Cool. Well.... If you decide to put it in a tune I'd like to try it. I find that running the eb on cold mornings helps the truck warm up a little quicker.

Plus... I really like the sound

Greg

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Cool. Well.... If you decide to put it in a tune I'd like to try it. I find that running the eb on cold mornings helps the truck warm up a little quicker.

Plus... I really like the sound
    Well...you know I like happy customers.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I just saw your edit/note to your first note.... That is in interesting thought that I had not considered....

Thankfully we don't have that many really cold mornings here throughout the year.

Greg

8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Maybe the 4th gens are different, but my EB doesn't kick on at start up until a short delay to get oil pressure and some heat in the oil. Then a another delay (depending on temp) and it'll kick itself to hi idle

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Maybe the 4th gens are different, but my EB doesn't kick on at start up until a short delay to get oil pressure and some heat in the oil. Then a another delay (depending on temp) and it'll kick itself to hi idle
    They are. EB button must be engaged of course, but the turbo will tighten up at idle and high idle by itself if the coolant temp is low enough. Once it warms up, the tightening feature with its accompanied whistle will go away. Power 247 is referring to enabling this all the time whether the EB is engaged or not.

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Could you make it so it won't work until coolant temp is up to 10p degrees or so? I'd like this as well.

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The idea of damaging the turbo (over time) has really got me thinking....

Right now I usually start the truck with remote start and then within a minute or 2 I go outside, hit the eb button and scrape the windows and then go back in the house and wait for the windows to defrost. My thinking was that if the eb came on right away that would speed up the whole process but if its at the expense of my turbo's lifespan... Then that is something else to consider... Really glad I asked this here

Greg

12. Top Of Page | #10
    The idea of damaging the turbo (over time) has really got me thinking....

Right now I usually start the truck with remote start and then within a minute or 2 I go outside, hit the eb button and scrape the windows and then go back in the house and wait for the windows to defrost. My thinking was that if the eb came on right away that would speed up the whole process but if its at the expense of my turbo's lifespan... Then that is something else to consider... Really glad I asked this here
    I'm worried about mine now too. LOL. I do the same thing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast