Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Intake/Exhaust popping noise

1. Top Of Page | #51

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Great Tips! Probably the best packed set of injectors ever received here came from the this esteemed moderator!

****** Polaraco Blushes ******

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #52
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Machine shop called back today. The head is cracked in about 12 different places between under valve seats. He says he can get me one that's tested, loaded, and ready to bolt on for $1,330 plus shipping. Is this a decent price?

3. Top Of Page | #53
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Tested and ready to bolt on... sounds like a decent price to me.

4. Top Of Page | #54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tabaka11 View Post
    Machine shop called back today. The head is cracked in about 12 different places between under valve seats. He says he can get me one that's tested, loaded, and ready to bolt on for $1,330 plus shipping. Is this a decent price?
    Haven't priced a head in good while, but that sounds like a deal for a complete head ready to go.

It sounds pretty obvious that the head absorbed a tremendous amount of combustion heat. Check your piston crowns for any signs of damage as well. Sick injectors or poor tuning will ruin otherwise bulletproof common rail Cummins.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Top Of Page | #55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Tested and ready to bolt on... sounds like a decent price to me.
    That isn't a bad price really, it depends on the rebuilder though.

I can get you a reman from the dealer for $1590 + a $300 core charge. It has NEW springs. Chances are that one has reused springs. Not sure on the valves. That's OK though. Not sure on the valves. Just think! You can get 300 for a pile of scrap. LOL Ships in 2 days from North Carolina A new head is over 3 grand

I have to think that truck over heated at some time with 12 cracks.

Check Geno's Garage http://www.genosgarage.com/

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #56
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cheapest I have yet to find. machinist said it's through his vendor and he has never had a problem with them. Everything's tested and in spec.

As far as the overheating goes...the injectors are at accurate diesel right now being tested. My tunes are written by Ryan Milliken so I have a hard time believing it's a tuning issue. Anything else I should look into? Is it possible something happened to the truck before I bought it?

7. Top Of Page | #57

User Info Menu

I'm anxious to see what Tim finds. I think that may shed some light.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Top Of Page | #58
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yes I am too. I've always had crappy mileage in this truck too. I'm hoping the injector testing will she'd some light on that too. Or it could be from those valve seats?

9. Top Of Page | #59

User Info Menu

Cheapest I have yet to find. machinist said it's through his vendor and he has never had a problem with them. Everything's tested and in spec.

As far as the overheating goes...the injectors are at accurate diesel right now being tested. My tunes are written by Ryan Milliken so I have a hard time believing it's a tuning issue. Anything else I should look into? Is it possible something happened to the truck before I bought it?
    That's what I was thinking. Damage by previous owner

10. Top Of Page | #60
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Pistons and cylinder walls look like it just left the Cummins plant. Still has the crosshatching

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast