Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have an alternator question

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: I have an alternator question

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Hey Greg. May I ask another favor? Can you measure from the top and bottom mounting hole to the center of the pulley hub for me? Also the distance between the 2 mounting holes, and the distance between them of the bracket, front to back.

With it getting cold out, I need to move pretty quick on this. The grid heater sucks the life out of the batts, and I have to charge the batts every night. With the electric fans and the air compressors, I think it's a good idea to upgrade. I can't look at Alex's truck because he has the dual setup. A dual alternator set up costs too much. I'd rather buy a used Nittso and throw that in. I can get them for $50 + shipping.

I just want to unbolt and bolt in if I can. Worse case change the belt.
    Sure thing. I will check the measurements tomorrow either at lunch or right after work.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

@Polaraco it's storming here today. I get the measures as soon as the weather breaks.

Greg

Greg

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    @Polaraco it's storming here today. I get the measures as soon as the weather breaks.

Greg
    What kind of a redneck are you? You can't get wet?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

What kind of a redneck are you? You can't get wet?
    Haha. Never said I was a redneck LOL!

Greg

Greg

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Greg

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Greg
    Greg
    Alex stopped over and we took some measurements. I got what I needed. The mounting appears to be the same. The only thing I need is the over all length of the body of the alternator. Otherwise they look the same. Man, they have that engine compartment packed tight! And the truck's bigger!!!

10. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Greg
    Greg
    Disregard any measurements please. . . .
    I called a bone yard down in North Carolina and ordered a used 2017 180 amp with 6K on it. The guy I talked to happened to be from Jersey. He told me Hollander says it will go right in and work. The difference between the 03 and 4th gen alternators is the rectifier is internal, not external like mine is. That's why it looks bigger.

I called a local yard I use on and off and they were no help at all. The only thing they said available was for an 04. These alternators are not known for dying too easily. I really think the kid was full of crap. Really disappointed with them.

75 bucks + shipping. I could have gotten a rebuilt for that price, but I have little faith in rebuilders anymore. Stuff fails way too soon. I get to keep my core, so I can throw a set of brushes in it and put it on the shelf. Next I'll look for a starter for the shelf

I appreciate your help and I thank you
    @AnOldBiker was useless for me

12. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Well it could be you never asked me. Or the fact I'm taking a break from taking care of the wife, she's recently home from a knee replacement and I'm working like a slave around here. Finally got a break for a while before supper and just finished laundry. And she's the foreman for now.

I believe you lived in your area for quite a while, so you should have a parts store that your known in. I would have asked them for both alternators and compared them. That could be a basis for a start. Then shop for the best deal on an alternator. As for the belt, put the new one on, measure and then drive down to buy one. It's amazing on how many sizes there are out there.

Thought this would have been a simple one for an .. old man like you ........

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Likes Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Greg
    Disregard any measurements please. . . .
    I called a bone yard down in North Carolina and ordered a used 2017 180 amp with 6K on it. The guy I talked to happened to be from Jersey. He told me Hollander says it will go right in and work. The difference between the 03 and 4th gen alternators is the rectifier is internal, not external like mine is. That's why it looks bigger.

I called a local yard I use on and off and they were no help at all. The only thing they said available was for an 04. These alternators are not known for dying too easily. I really think the kid was full of crap. Really disappointed with them.

75 bucks + shipping. I could have gotten a rebuilt for that price, but I have little faith in rebuilders anymore. Stuff fails way too soon. I get to keep my core, so I can throw a set of brushes in it and put it on the shelf. Next I'll look for a starter for the shelf

I appreciate your help and I thank you
    @AnOldBiker was useless for me
    Excellent!! Glad you got what you needed.

Greg

Greg

16. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Well it could be you never asked me. Or the fact I'm taking a break from taking care of the wife, she's recently home from a knee replacement and I'm working like a slave around here. Finally got a break for a while before supper and just finished laundry. And she's the foreman for now.

I believe you lived in your area for quite a while, so you should have a parts store that your known in. I would have asked them for both alternators and compared them. That could be a basis for a start. Then shop for the best deal on an alternator. As for the belt, put the new one on, measure and then drive down to buy one. It's amazing on how many sizes there are out there.

Thought this would have been a simple one for an .. old man like you ........

Haha!!! Give him hell!!

Hope the wife recovers quickly

Greg

Greg

18. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast