Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel System Problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel System Problems

2006 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 130k miles, recently built transmission
    Codes: P0148, P1223
    Problems:
    1) Around town driving- Periodically the engine will shut down due to a drop in rail pressure. Starting back consists of turning the engine over 2 or 3 times with pedal to the floor. Once it starts back it usually doesn't act up for the rest of a short trip. Reminded this is not an every time thing. It has probably shut down 5 times over 3 weeks of daily driving.
    2) I can hear fuel knock. It sounds like its coming from the injection pump and I can feel the knock by placing my hand on the pump.
    3) Highway speeds of 60-70mph- While driving I accelerate hard and rail pressure drops as low as 3kpsi, I let off and rail pressure spikes then returns to normal. Speed will not climb during hard acceleration. When this occurs the wait to start lamp comes on and chimes 10 times. This is when the P1223 code came up. Reminded this is not an all the time thing either but occurs as often as the 1st problem.
    What I have done to try and fix these issues: Replaced fuel filter, Checked and reconnected all connectors having to do with fuel, tightened injector lines, Lift pump tested at about 400ml, tested pressure release valve on rail, unplugged FCA and rail pressure spiked at 26kpsi and held, oil is at normal operating range, no external leaks in sight.

Please keep in mind that these problems are not constant. They are sporadic at best but happen enough to make me nervous about breaking down every time I drive the truck. It is about every other drive I take the truck on that these problems occur. I could really use some help here. Truck is my single mode of transportation and I don't have the $$$ to be throwing parts at it. Any help is much appreciated!!!

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel System Problems

P1224 Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. I know exactly what this is. The engine's PCM (engine computer) is causing this and it is a software glitch. There is a technical service bulletin that talks about this and it involves having the dealer reprogram the PCM with new software. Here is some text from this bulletin that you can print out and take to your dealer and show them. Note: this may be covered under the Cummins warranty.

P1223 - LEAK DETECTION BASED ON QUANTITY BALANCE

Here is the diagnostics:
    DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE P1223 - LEAK DETECTION BASED ON QUANTITY
    BALANCE
    NOTE: For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.
    There is a required amount of fuel required by the fuel system to keep the system stable.
    The amount of fuel required depends on fuel pressure, injection quantity, engine speed,
    and coolant temperature. The Engine Control Module (ECM) sets Leakage Detected, when
    the fuel flow exceeds an expected value. When a leak is detected in the system, a counter
    is initiated. When the counter reaches a predetermined value a fault is set and engine
    derate is enabled. When the leak is not detected the counter counts down, and once the
    counter becomes zero the engine is set back to normal running conditions.
    **A solid Wait to Start lamp will illuminate in the cluster along with chiming 10 times.
    When the fault goes inactive, it will clear the wait to start lamp with no chimes**.
    · When Monitored: Engine is running above low idle speed and at operating
    temperature with no fuel system and engine speed related DTC's.
    · Set Condition: Counter reaches a calibrated value.
    Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.
    Possible Causes
    EXCESSIVE INJECTOR RETURN
    NOTE: Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before
    proceeding.
    OTHER DTC's PRESENT
    1. Turn the ignition on.
    2. With the scan tool, select View DTC's. Are there any other fuel system related DTC's
    present along with this DTC?
    a. Yes >>> Perform the diagnostics for the other fuel system DTC's before proceeding.
    b. No >>>> Perform the INJECTOR RETURN FLOW TEST procedure.

The point at which your engine feels sluggish is the low psi point. The problem is duplicating the issue to catch it. You could be losing fuel psi thru your limit valve, stuck injector/s, low fuel supply, clogged fuel filter, faulty lift pump.. What I suggest is to do the basic fuel tests, fuel delivery test. disconnect the fuel supply line to the injection pump and bump the starter.. Spec is 500ml/30 seconds.. If it's within spec then your problem is elsewhere.. Next I would perform the injector return test.. Now this test requires special tools in which I suggest having a Dodge dealership or Cummins authorized repair shop to perform. This will tell you if you have 1 or more injectors that are leaking, transfer tubes loose, pop off valve faulty, etc..

If you find anything out of the normal or wish just to have a second opinion feel free to reply to this question and I will come to assist you farther..

The P1048 is high rail pressure

I'm honestly too tired to pop. But this will get you started. I suggest you google the code numbers

Sounds like the valve on the CP3 Or you may have a lift problem. When was the last time you changes the fuel filter?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You are in great hands with Mr. Steve! Can't follow up with an answer like he did LOL!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes AnOldBiker, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree with @Polaraco

And I noticed ....
    1st post, so ... to the forum @pulliamh5

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    You are in great hands with Mr. Steve! Can't follow up with an answer like he did LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I agree with @Polaraco

And I noticed ....
    1st post, so ... to the forum @pulliamh5

You should see me when I'm awake! I was exhausted last night

@pulliamh5

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes AnOldBiker, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Excellent reply sir. I noticed an inconsistency, though it may be unimportant. OP noted code P0148, but the last half of your response was for P1048. Does that change the response?

2012 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 auto deleted Mini Maxx studded on 35's

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thank you sir for the post. It is a great help in determining the problem. Let me tell you about my recent events today and see if something reaches out and grabs you.

Replaced the FCA because I thought it would be a good place to start from reading some posts. After I replaced FCA I took it to the Interstate and the truck faulted. The only way for me to duplicate the problem is by getting on the interstate, reaching 70mph, and hammering it until rail pressure drops. This is consistent and the only way to duplicate the high mph problem. When I hammer it some white smoke comes out but is not a thick fog, rail pressure drops as low as 4kpsi, turbo boost climbs to 30psi and holds, no increase in mph's, let off pedal and rail pressure spikes about 23kpsi then drops to normal range with light pedal, and it throws code P0148 again. Keep in mind the truck is all stock except 4" straight pipe turbo back, and bigger air filter. I have an EDGE CTS 2 but is now back to factor settings since I have been having these problems, I keep it plugged up for all the gauges though. It seems to me that something is just not keeping up. But this is my first Cummins and I heavily rely on my brother and you guys for help.

I did a lift pump test the other day by cracking the drain on fuel filter and letting it drain until it dripped dry then bumped the starter and got close to 400ml. Should I test it another way or just not let the filter drain first.

My question is that with all the information I have given what did I possibly do wrong or right, and what is my next step to resolve the issue or eliminate something else as the culprit.

12. Likes JSPulliam21 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Welcome sorry I can't help with your problem but will be following along good luck

Life is a one time offer, make the most of it

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

15. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pulliamh5 View Post
    Thank you sir for the post. It is a great help in determining the problem. Let me tell you about my recent events today and see if something reaches out and grabs you.

Replaced the FCA because I thought it would be a good place to start from reading some posts. After I replaced FCA I took it to the Interstate and the truck faulted. The only way for me to duplicate the problem is by getting on the interstate, reaching 70mph, and hammering it until rail pressure drops. This is consistent and the only way to duplicate the high mph problem. When I hammer it some white smoke comes out but is not a thick fog, rail pressure drops as low as 4kpsi, turbo boost climbs to 30psi and holds, no increase in mph's, let off pedal and rail pressure spikes about 23kpsi then drops to normal range with light pedal, and it throws code P0148 again. Keep in mind the truck is all stock except 4" straight pipe turbo back, and bigger air filter. I have an EDGE CTS 2 but is now back to factor settings since I have been having these problems, I keep it plugged up for all the gauges though. It seems to me that something is just not keeping up. But this is my first Cummins and I heavily rely on my brother and you guys for help.

I did a lift pump test the other day by cracking the drain on fuel filter and letting it drain until it dripped dry then bumped the starter and got close to 400ml. Should I test it another way or just not let the filter drain first.

My question is that with all the information I have given what did I possibly do wrong or right, and what is my next step to resolve the issue or eliminate something else as the culprit.
    I'm back to the same question. Have you changed the fuel filter? The fuel drain is on the outside of the filter. these go outside in.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast