Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help 2012 6.7

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help 2012 6.7

Any help wud be appreciated ! I have a 2012 6.7 bone stock cab an chassis !
    I recently had problems with the rockers coming off an bent a couple push rods,
    after resting the valve lash an new push rods it was bak up an running it had a couple missfires
    so i put 3 injectors in it, ran good for about 2wks all of a sudden today goin down the hywy it started making a tapping noise an lost all power rpms started to fall an it died ! Wudnt turn over or click or nuthin all power is on but wont try to start. 140k miles on it , i crossed the wires on starter in it will click like starter is working but wont turn over, i put a wrnch on harmonic balancer an i cant get it to turn ! Im not a big diesel mechanic, it never got hot never lost oil psi just tapping an then died , dodge said maybe hydro locked i pulled 3 injectors that i didn't replace an tryd to turn it over an nope wont budge, i didnt pull the 3 new ones but im lost 140k miles shudnt be all it can do right ? I always thought cummins was best damn engine u cud buy ! Plz sum1 any 1 ever seen this problem ??

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ogbign View Post
    Any help wud be appreciated ! I have a 2012 6.7 bone stock cab an chassis !
    I recently had problems with the rockers coming off an bent a couple push rods,
    after resting the valve lash an new push rods it was bak up an running it had a couple missfires
    so i put 3 injectors in it, ran good for about 2wks all of a sudden today goin down the hywy it started making a tapping noise an lost all power rpms started to fall an it died ! Wudnt turn over or click or nuthin all power is on but wont try to start. 140k miles on it , i crossed the wires on starter in it will click like starter is working but wont turn over, i put a wrnch on harmonic balancer an i cant get it to turn ! Im not a big diesel mechanic, it never got hot never lost oil psi just tapping an then died , dodge said maybe hydro locked i pulled 3 injectors that i didn't replace an tryd to turn it over an nope wont budge, i didnt pull the 3 new ones but im lost 140k miles shudnt be all it can do right ? I always thought cummins was best damn engine u cud buy ! Plz sum1 any 1 ever seen this problem ??
    If it is locked that tight and it never lost oil pressure, there has to be something on top of a piston that can't be compressed. Have you tried rotating the engine in both directions to see if it budge at all?

Pull the rest of the injectors and see what happens. If it is still locked, you are gonna have to pull the head. There is the possibility of a broken valve sitting on top of a piston.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I tryed to rotate it in both directions, no luck , starter wont turn it over, the injectors i replaced are the only 1s I didnt pull out, i was gonna try to pull them all out tomorrow an see if it will turn over. From looking at it the valves an rockers looked good from wut i cud see, no way to tell if it dropped a valve without pulling the head ??

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ogbign View Post
    I tryed to rotate it in both directions, no luck , starter wont turn it over, the injectors i replaced are the only 1s I didnt pull out, i was gonna try to pull them all out tomorrow an see if it will turn over. From looking at it the valves an rockers looked good from wut i cud see, no way to tell if it dropped a valve without pulling the head ??
    With the valves shut, you could pull the injectors and use one of the those fancy tools to apply air pressure to each cylinder. If you broke a valve, the air would rush out quickly, either through the intake or exhaust.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Is it a manual or automatic trans? I've seen the front pumps in the automatics seize up too.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post