Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

New here.

Don't have a cummins yet hope to as soon as possible. 18 years old (Grande Prairie AB, Canada) getting a new job that pays much better so by the end of the year I will have roughly 25-30k saved up. Just wanted some opinions on saving and putting a down payment on a new cummins or buying maybe a decent 3rd gen and leaving it for a bit or else getting a 1st or 2nd gen and putting a bunch of go fast parts into it? Tia.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation rollinsmokediesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum

James
    RSD

3. Likes jallard liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Good for you man! There aren't too many 18 yo around here with that kind of drive. As for which truck to buy... Well... That really depends on your skills and other vehicle situation. I chose a new truck because I needed a reliable dd and honestly don't have a lot of mechanic skills. Knowing what I have learned here, If I was looking for a truck as a second vehicle I would go for a 3rd gen 5.9. I lie the 3rd gen body styles and the 5.9 doesn't have all the emissions equipment in the way that you have to work around like on the new trucks.
    Now, if you are looking for a truck to beat on then definitely go the 2nd gen route so you can have some money left over to fix what you tear up

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome friend.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks man! Always enjoyed cummins. My grandpa always had one for years. I guess I'll have to see what Is available for trucks when it comes down to buying it. I want a manual because they're just fun to drive but also a newer truck so I figured third gen is probably the closest to best of both worlds

7. Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

welcome cant wait to see what you wined up with

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

9. Likes jallard liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Welcome!

as for my recommendation, go 3rd gen. easier to work on, less emissions junk, parts are more easily available. and coming from my truck when I was 18, when you wreck it or bang it up a little, its a trip to the junkyard for body panels.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

11. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes jallard liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

welcome to the fun
    since your in GP you may see me around there LOL
    and as for the truck i would go either second or third gen as to stay away from the newer trucks and all the EPA crap they carry

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@jallard Welcome to the fun!

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

14. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

@K-Sons where you from what do you do for work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast