Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy with a "sluggish" turbo

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New Guy with a "sluggish" turbo

Hello all, I've recently joined this club today after reading several of the posts on here along with Facebook. Thanks for adding me. I did have a technical question I wanted to ask to get some thoughts from the Pro's! I have a 2012 Ram 3500 6.7, and I only experience my issue while the weather is hot. All other seasons the truck runs great, and I plan on beginning my "wake up" as soon as the warranty is up. As I mentioned it's a 6.7 with Automatic transmission, and 4WD, with no mods, or gauges currently. When it's hot out my turbo seems "sluggish" or takes longer to spool than when it's cooler out. Any ideas?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

How many miles on your motor?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

thats a VGT, I am wondering if the vains need to be cleaned. Just a thought,

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTate View Post
    Hello all, I've recently joined this club today after reading several of the posts on here along with Facebook. Thanks for adding me. I did have a technical question I wanted to ask to get some thoughts from the Pro's! I have a 2012 Ram 3500 6.7, and I only experience my issue while the weather is hot. All other seasons the truck runs great, and I plan on beginning my "wake up" as soon as the warranty is up. As I mentioned it's a 6.7 with Automatic transmission, and 4WD, with no mods, or gauges currently. When it's hot out my turbo seems "sluggish" or takes longer to spool than when it's cooler out. Any ideas?
    Factory tuning on the 6.7 Cummins has different EOMs or operation modes based on air density, temp, etc. Your engine has a VGT or variable geometry turbocharger which has different EOMs in its tuning mapping. You are probably seeing the effects of the engine switching to different mapping as the season is changing. Now add altitude to the equation and PCM really changes things up. Also cooler air is denser air, so you'll get more boost in the winter vs summer.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Ray is on to something there. It's the only logical solution. It's acting like it's going into a limp mode.

What are you doing when this happens in the heat? Loaded? Empty? Try to tell us the conditions leading to it and as it happens. There may be a clue in there.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It does this while I'm unloaded, and loaded, and the only times I notice it is when it's hot out, typically above 85 degrees. I've never noticed anything like this during the Spring, Fall, or Winter months, only the summer. I've talked to some other folks about it, and one guy suggested I take it in to the dealer to see if my ECM needed updated. What's your thoughts on that? How often should a guy take it in for ECM updates?

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The only other thing I can think of it the bearings may be binding when it's hot.

I am assuming the engine is not hesitating?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The only other thing I can think of it the bearings may be binding when it's hot.

I am assuming the engine is not hesitating?
    if that was it I would bet once the engine hits operating temp it would still get sluggish. If it's still under warranty and no mods done then I'd go with the suggestion of seeing if there's a dealer flash update. I'm assuming factory intake. Which rules out a few possibilities. it does seem to me that it's gotta be map/tuning related. Either that or a tired sensor that's only effected at specified temps, which seems rather unlikely.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    if that was it I would bet once the engine hits operating temp it would still get sluggish. If it's still under warranty and no mods done then I'd go with the suggestion of seeing if there's a dealer flash update. I'm assuming factory intake. Which rules out a few possibilities. it does seem to me that it's gotta be map/tuning related. Either that or a tired sensor that's only effected at specified temps, which seems rather unlikely.
    Humor me. How do you drive this truck? lots of idling? All highway? Are you gentle on the pedal? Farm truck?

Drew I am starting to think the sensors needs a cleaning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast