Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: starting problems

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

starting problems

gota 99 cummins 5 speed will jump start or start on ether just won't start from the get go once running has power and keeps it. sometimes if its been running 30 minutes or more it may start back up after shut down sometimes it won't. any one else had this problem?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

So your saying it turns over but won't run till you spray it? Does it turn over every time?

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

turns over every time with no issue it will turn and turn over but just won't start without eather

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 99Cummins24 View Post
    gota 99 cummins 5 speed will jump start or start on ether just won't start from the get go once running has power and keeps it. sometimes if its been running 30 minutes or more it may start back up after shut down sometimes it won't. any one else had this problem?
    Over the many years working with diesels on the family logging business, usually an ether dependent engine is one that is generally worn out. They just lack the compression to raise the cylinder temp to get the fuel shot to burn when the engine is cold. But if the engine is not consuming oil or generating much crankcase blowby, then I would suspect something else. The injection pump could be weak and not building enough fuel pressure to make an easily combustible fuel shot. Worn valves, guides, seats can cause compression loss and create cold start problems. One thing that's easy to do and may help a little, is to do a simple valve lash adjustment. Poorly adjusted valves don't help with this situation and I have seen some engines start better once the valve lash was properly set.

Hope you get your problem solved easily.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

truck has less then 180000 miles on it. it was a business truck for my farthers employees for a to drive back nd forth to the log yard and they put kerosene in instead of diesel and drove it maybe 20 miles. could this cause something? the motor don't make any noise no clatter or rapping. i was also told it could be the injector pump loosing prime

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

A full tank of it?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

truck has less then 180000 miles on it. it was a business truck for my farthers employees for a to drive back nd forth to the log yard and they put kerosene in instead of diesel and drove it maybe 20 miles. could this cause something? the motor don't make any noise no clatter or rapping. i was also told it could be the injector pump loosing prime
    I bet the kerosene didn't hurt it. Does smoke come out the exhaust while trying to crank it cold before injecting the either? Smoke will be a sign of fuel entering the engine but lack of combustion. If you don't see any sign of smoke before the engine fires, then it could be a loss of prime. If so, then check your transfer/lift pump.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

9. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

no smoke and brand new lift pump that was the first attempt and kno just 50 dollars worth of it

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

no smoke and brand new lift pump that was the first attempt and kno just 50 dollars worth of it
    No smoke means no fuel. So if the lift pump is supplying the injection pump with fuel, then I would suspect something wrong with the injection pump...but is your lift pump mechanical or electric? You could still be loosing prime through the supply somewhere...cracked line, loose connection, check valves. You'd be surprised how small a defect can cause loss of prime. I actually prefer electric lift pumps because you ensure the fuel system is primed before you ever engage the starter.

11. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

its electric its mounted be hind the fuel filter housing below the fire wall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast