Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypass oil filter location

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bypass oil filter location

I recently purchased an Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter kit and I’m not seeing any good locations to install it. Under the hood already resembles 10lbs in a 5lb can. The kit supplies 12’ of hose giving me approximately 5-6’ from oil filter adapter and oil fill cap. I’m sure someone on here has done this and found a good location. Any ideas? Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes RamHunter18, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Bypass oil filter location

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    I recently purchased an Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter kit and I’m not seeing any good locations to install it. Under the hood already resembles 10lbs in a 5lb can. The kit supplies 12’ of hose giving me approximately 5-6’ from oil filter adapter and oil fill cap. I’m sure someone on here has done this and found a good location. Any ideas? Pictures?

Check this thread, it has some the pix from my install as well as others
    https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...filter+install

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

4. Likes Clutch liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Has anyone noticed any oil pressure or oil temp changes after installing a oil bypass filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

It shouldn't change the pressure at all. Even if the bypass filter plugs .. you're still going with the normal flow through the stock filter.
    As for temp .. it depends on where you put the filter and the hose length. But the difference is extremely minimal .. if any.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes david3gen, Clutch, RamHunter18 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have a dual filter setup under the passenger door.

Temp would be lower, no pressure drop

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes Clutch liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I put mine in front of the passenger side wheel well, right inder the air box. Not an amsoil kit but same thing. Made for a clean install under the hood and the eabp100 fit no problem.

I dont have any pictures of it all together but this will give you an idea of where.

2F3E9EAE-EDC4-476B-8C90-B91DF0D98A09.jpg
    F9F330C2-84A1-4537-8DFF-5FB39B4F33FD.jpg

The only thing you see under the hood is the line running from the cap down the fan shroud and down under the air box. No filters/brackets/ lines running everywhere.
    FD6421B0-A1B4-483F-BAEF-F27B7AE5784B.jpeg

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

11. Likes Clutch, RamHunter18 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Best thing to do is, get some coffee, open the hood and look for easy access, easy area to change out the filter, shortest hoses needed. Then walk away for an hour, go back and see if you were right, or is there better. Once happy .. go for it.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Best thing to do is, get some coffee, open the hood and look for easy access, easy area to change out the filter, shortest hoses needed. Then walk away for an hour, go back and see if you were right, or is there better. Once happy .. go for it.
    Excellent answer for any project!!

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Have you looked under the hood of the latest 4th gens? It's so tight in there I'm surprised it gets enough air to run. JK

I agree with your philosophy. But sometimes you could get on a caffeine high seeking a solution. With my filters, I needed more hose. I carefully ran them to avoid pinching and chafing. I also wrapped the hoses. I just eyeball the lines every year at filter change and the annual PM. The filters are high enough not to get hit or struck with road debris. I can change the 2 filters in about 5 minutes, including working clean. I use an old baking pan on the ground to catch the spill. I have my handy little filter holder, fabricated from a scrap of 4" exhaust pipe. I later made this a 3 holer.

DSCN0088.jpg

I don't seem to have a pic of my dual filter setup on the 03. This is a total waist of money on an Amsoil bypass set up on my 08. I actually get better results with 2 plain ol' Cummins Fleet Guard filters and Rays tune. I just pulled the dip stick this week. After 7000 miles, my oil is still clear and golden. You guys get sucked in with all the propaganda. I did all this already. I wasted more money on BS because of lying propaganda. i am still a darn good engineer
    Sorry JJ

100_0272.JPG

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Thanks Mjölnir thanked for this post
    Likes Clutch liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I will likely order additional hose as well. I plan on going in a similar location. I may also return the kit for one of those dual remote filter housings. I believe they make one with one full flow filter and one bypass filter. This single remote kit cost $315. I think I should be able to do better. I do not like the existing filter location.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast