Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: What is considered AGRESSIVE driving in a 68RFE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What is considered AGRESSIVE driving in a 68RFE

Ok, how do I drive this thing? I have a new 2018 2500 ram that I absolutely love!

I keep hearing that this truck has a glass transmission. In not one to beat up on my stuff, I don’t do burn outs in my truck, I’m not interested in boosted launches, but I do love mashing the throttle every once in a while to get a feel for the power that I purchased the truck for.

I keep reading to not get on it in 5th and sixth, so is it not advisable to let it shift through the gears at WOT or mash the pedal on the highway to pass another vehicle...I’ve never even thought about any of those scenarios in any of my other vehicles but it seems I should be concerned with this one.

I will be contacting DRD for deleting and tuning soon, will that fix the factory sloppiness in the transmission?

thanks in advance.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, david3gen, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What is considered AGRESSIVE driving in a 68RFE

DRD tuning will fix up that trans!

Don't go over 120HP with their tuning.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes david3gen, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post
    Ok, how do I drive this thing? I have a new 2018 2500 ram that I absolutely love!

I keep hearing that this truck has a glass transmission. In not one to beat up on my stuff, I don’t do burn outs in my truck, I’m not interested in boosted launches, but I do love mashing the throttle every once in a while to get a feel for the power that I purchased the truck for.

I keep reading to not get on it in 5th and sixth, so is it not advisable to let it shift through the gears at WOT or mash the pedal on the highway to pass another vehicle...I’ve never even thought about any of those scenarios in any of my other vehicles but it seems I should be concerned with this one.

I will be contacting DRD for deleting and tuning soon, will that fix the factory sloppiness in the transmission?

thanks in advance.

You just have to drive it with common sense is about the best way to explain it. You can get on it and what not but do so carefully. Don't just mash it to the floor every single time. Don't let off the gas then floor it. Just get on it moderately and smoothly ya know? As long as you take care of it it will take care of you. If you do any kind of towing this will definitely play a huge role in saving your trans.

Mr. Ray's tuning will most definitely help it shift more smoothly as well as pro-long the life of that thing. It will help put the power to the ground as efficiently as possible.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes Josh6.7 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Try not to floor it in 5th or 6th gear.

If you are going to do a WOT run manually lock out 5th and 6th with the buttons on the shifter.

If you are towing somewhat heavy and you see a hill coming that will require a downshift go ahead and force the downshift yourself with the buttons before you start climbing the hill so the downshift doesn't need to take place with a heavy load on it.

Lock out 6th gear when towing.

Don't be changing your tunes horsepower levels all the time, pick one and stick with it. If you do change power levels drive easy for 30 miles or so to allow your transmission software to learn up the new shift parameters to deal with the extra torque.

No boosted launches.

If you do all that it should go a long way toward helping the trans live.

8. Likes Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post

thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    Try not to floor it in 5th or 6th gear.

If you are going to do a WOT run manually lock out 5th and 6th with the buttons on the shifter.

If you are towing somewhat heavy and you see a hill coming that will require a downshift go ahead and force the downshift yourself with the buttons before you start climbing the hill so the downshift doesn't need to take place with a heavy load on it.

Lock out 6th gear when towing.

Don't be changing your tunes horsepower levels all the time, pick one and stick with it. If you do change power levels drive easy for 30 miles or so to allow your transmission software to learn up the new shift parameters to deal with the extra torque.

No boosted launches.

If you do all that it should go a long way toward helping the trans live.
    Just about everything he said. The trans is really pretty good. I know, I beat the crap out of my 08 and it had. The torque converter is like the fuse.

avoid hole shots and jack rabbit starts. The slamming is what hurts the trans the most

The trans is getting a bad rap. Not many guys in our forum have had major 68 problems. Odd problems here and there like chatter. I can't recall anyone actually having one completely fail. Most of these guys inherit a failed trans when buying used. When we talk about abuse, I mean 24/7 hammering it. Chrysler started to reduce it's problems when they started putting in Air coolers. My 48 is so tight I rarely hit 130 in this weather.

Drive it like you stole it and you're not being chased

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I just got the 5th and 6th gear ratio incorrect cels. I don't beat on the truck but my overdrives are gone. Yes I've got on it but most of my driving was on 30hp tune from ppei with trans tuning. I have a heavy foot and do tend to run 80mph and up on interstate. My truck has 66700 miles roughly and has been deleted since 22xxx so i made it 44k just a little longer than my Cooper STT pros LOL.

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Manson0187 View Post
    I just got the 5th and 6th gear ratio incorrect cels. I don't beat on the truck but my overdrives are gone. Yes I've got on it but most of my driving was on 30hp tune from ppei with trans tuning. I have a heavy foot and do tend to run 80mph and up on interstate. My truck has 66700 miles roughly and has been deleted since 22xxx so i made it 44k just a little longer than my Cooper STT pros LOL.
    You sound like me. I’m in the same boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I called several repair shops around me and nobody was interested in rebuilding the trans only replacing it with a built one so i just went ahead and traded it on a 2018 2500 megacab G56