Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Drain Plug Sheared

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Drain Plug Sheared

Glad you got it off

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Glad you got this off my friend!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Does that drain plug have a valve that threads on or is that all there is to it?

I was thinking about getting one but I'm to affraid I'll snag it on something and loose all my oil going down the highway! LOL

Happy you got it out bud, I would have been shitting bricks

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I think I found the one you are using...

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...g/drain-valves

That's the first time I've seen that particular model. The once I decided against geting due to clearance issues was this one:

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...a/drain-valves

I might reconsider now, that first one looks pretty slick. Do you plan on getting a new one?

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

CanDiesel, When I had it on, before over torquing it, it did not appear to hang more than a couple milimeters below the bottom of the oil pan due to the fact that the plug portion is slightly recessed. I do think that if you high pointed on your oil pan, the Geno's plug could end up getting sheared off, but in that situation, I think you'd also damage the oil pan itself.

I'm not sure if I will get another one or not. On one hand, I now have the $15 hose that attached to it, but on the other hand, I drained it this time by cutting 1" off the top of a 5 gallon bucket and was able to get the stock plug off without spilling any oil on the ground. So I'm undecided at this point because it really wasn't that hard to change just using the stock plug. I.e. Not much efficiency added by using this $30 fragile brass plug.

I'm also about to level the truck so clearance will be even less of an issue the next time I get under there to change the oil. The only factor that makes me want to get another one is the idea of being able to drain a small amount via the hose to send off to get sampled. For this go round though, I'm just going to have to stick to my standard 8-9k change interval with the stock plug back on the truck.

Cheers

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

10. Likes walla2k5, CanDiesel liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Brass plug, brass valved insert with and without hose 'and' stock plugs ... if your not careful when off road .. it's a matter of time when your luck runs out.

Look at your clearance and HOW and WHERE you drive to consider what to use.

I have the short nipple Fomoto valve, not off road much and when I do, I'm careful how I drive.
    Never had a problem.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes walla2k5, CanDiesel liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

X2 @AnOldBiker mine has been on since my 2nd oil change 65k miles ago, never an issue in 3.5 yrs.
    @ViperCummins I would hesitate to draw oil samples from the bottom of the pan through the drain plug, Blackstone recommends you take it from the middle of the pan.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ViperCummins View Post
    CanDiesel, When I had it on, before over torquing it, it did not appear to hang more than a couple milimeters below the bottom of the oil pan due to the fact that the plug portion is slightly recessed. I do think that if you high pointed on your oil pan, the Geno's plug could end up getting sheared off, but in that situation, I think you'd also damage the oil pan itself.

I'm not sure if I will get another one or not. On one hand, I now have the $15 hose that attached to it, but on the other hand, I drained it this time by cutting 1" off the top of a 5 gallon bucket and was able to get the stock plug off without spilling any oil on the ground. So I'm undecided at this point because it really wasn't that hard to change just using the stock plug. I.e. Not much efficiency added by using this $30 fragile brass plug.

I'm also about to level the truck so clearance will be even less of an issue the next time I get under there to change the oil. The only factor that makes me want to get another one is the idea of being able to drain a small amount via the hose to send off to get sampled. For this go round though, I'm just going to have to stick to my standard 8-9k change interval with the stock plug back on the truck.

Cheers
    Never had a problem with my EZ Oil Change plug had it on my 97 Cummins 5.9 and now on my 2012 Cummins 6.7 Absolutely love mine great tool

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

16. Likes walla2k5, CanDiesel liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Never had a problem with my EZ Oil Change plug had it on my 97 Cummins 5.9 and now on my 2012 Cummins 6.7 Absolutely love mine great tool
    Yeah I really like the look of that one. The 5 gallon bucket argument is petty solid too.

18. Top Of Page | #20

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    X2 @AnOldBiker mine has been on since my 2nd oil change 65k miles ago, never an issue in 3.5 yrs.
    @ViperCummins I would hesitate to draw oil samples from the bottom of the pan through the drain plug, Blackstone recommends you take it from the middle of the pan.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    alright so now I’m curious...how would one go about getting a sample from the middle of the pan?

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

19. Likes CanDiesel liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast