Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE throwing a P0871 code. Should I fix or replace transmission?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE throwing a P0871 code. Should I fix or replace transmission?

I have a 2015 ram 2500 diesel Laramie edition 4x4. Full deletes running MM3 with trans tune.

While pulling my toy hauler (about 8k lbs empty and almost 16k fully loaded) last week I got the dreaded P0871 code. I spoke with a local transmission shop and was told that it's most likely the pressure sensor or a cross leak. I replaced the pressure sensor and did not fix the problem.

I've been researching a lot and think I could fix it with a new valve body but am not sure it will really fix anything long term.

So my question is, should I repair or replace the transmission? If repair, my local trans shop suggests the road ripper 3000 for around $6000.

Any thoughts or opinions on it? Is it good transmission or crap?

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE throwing a P0871 code. Should I fix or replace transmission?

@BKinky call Tom at Revmax and talk to him.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, BKinky liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BKinky View Post
    I have a 2015 ram 2500 diesel Laramie edition 4x4. Full deletes running MM3 with trans tune.

While pulling my toy hauler (about 8k lbs empty and almost 16k fully loaded) last week I got the dreaded P0871 code. I spoke with a local transmission shop and was told that it's most likely the pressure sensor or a cross leak. I replaced the pressure sensor and did not fix the problem.

I've been researching a lot and think I could fix it with a new valve body but am not sure it will really fix anything long term.

So my question is, should I repair or replace the transmission? If repair, my local trans shop suggests the road ripper 3000 for around $6000.

Any thoughts or opinions on it? Is it good transmission or crap?

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks!
    If the local shop is someone you know/do business with regularly then it’s one thing. I have never heard of that trans and looking at the website it looks like you may have mixed results.

Personally id go with a RevMax or FirePunk since they are the best in the business. With my 48re I went with a similar concept to road ripper and had nothing but issues. You get what you pay for

Depending on your budget, power goals, and plan on how long to keep the truck I would buy accordingly. If you’re on stock fuel and air then my guess is an upgraded VB will do the trick. You could do a thermal bypass abs deep pan while you’re in there. $700 VB, $300 for deep pan, and $120 for bypass + fluid and labor.

keep us posted.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
    Likes BKinky liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I got the dreaded P 0871 code towing my camper as well. I changed the pressure sensor also and thought I had it fixed. But when I towed the camper again this last weekend it came back. Stop and go while towing heats the oil enough to pop the code it seems. This was along with my brake issue if you saw that post... expensive trip! A RevMax valve body and filter screw came by UPS today. It's going in tomorrow night. Funny thing is, I can't clear that code with the MM3. I had to use my son's Snap On scanner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

7. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I got the dreaded P 0871 code towing my camper as well. I changed the pressure sensor also and thought I had it fixed. But when I towed the camper again this last weekend it came back. Stop and go while towing heats the oil enough to pop the code it seems. This was along with my brake issue if you saw that post... expensive trip! A RevMax valve body and filter screw came by UPS today. It's going in tomorrow night. Funny thing is, I can't clear that code with the MM3. I had to use my son's Snap On scanner.

The BD pressure plate failed you!?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes TH-64 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I believe the pressure plate did it's job helping save the clutches, but the 250 psi line pressure probably hastened the wear in the valve body. I knew it was a risk.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post

Oh man I feel your pain. About a month ago I pulled our 5er 2 hours to country jam (a music concert here in Colorado). On the way there I blew a tire. The 3 others were bad enough to replace. $500 later on the way home I realized that my brakes weren't working right. After closer inspection I had to replace all 4 breaks assemblies at another $250. Now I throw a code! Does it ever end!!! At this rate I'll be bankrupt in a year! LOL!

12. Likes TH-64 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    If the local shop is someone you know/do business with regularly then it’s one thing. I have never heard of that trans and looking at the website it looks like you may have mixed results.

Personally id go with a RevMax or FirePunk since they are the best in the business. With my 48re I went with a similar concept to road ripper and had nothing but issues. You get what you pay for

Depending on your budget, power goals, and plan on how long to keep the truck I would buy accordingly. If you’re on stock fuel and air then my guess is an upgraded VB will do the trick. You could do a thermal bypass abs deep pan while you’re in there. $700 VB, $300 for deep pan, and $120 for bypass + fluid and labor.

keep us posted.
    I've never seen my trans temps over 195. Does the deep pan add more fluid and extra cooling? What does the bypass do? Is it necessary to add both?

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@BKinky

The thermostatic valve helps warm the transmission faster by rerouting the fluid so it does not go into the trans cooler. These tend to fail on the 68RFE. When they fail, the thermostatic valve gets stuck in the "warm up" position making the trans cooler useless. The bypass valve makes it so the transmission uses the cooler no matter what. There is no "warm up".

I have a deep AFE pan that holds 2.5qts more than stock and a RevMax bypass valve and my transmission runs about 10-20 degrees cooler empty in stop and go traffic in 85+ degree summer days.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

15. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BKinky View Post
    I've never seen my trans temps over 195. Does the deep pan add more fluid and extra cooling? What does the bypass do? Is it necessary to add both?
    Most Deep pans will allow for 3 more quarts or so of ATF which will help keep temps down. Most have a drain plug as well so there is no mess for future fluid changes.

the stock setup has a bypass valve that stays closed until fluid warms up. I think it’s about 150*F then the valve opens to let the fluid flow through the entire system and cool itself. The bypass is small and is a failure point so could trap fluid and make temps sky rocker.

The bypass is an easy install and allows the system to stay open and flow all the time which will keep temps down as well. Most guys see a 20-40*F drop in max operating temp. If you live way north it may not be w great mod but for most lower 48 states it’s a good one!

190* is not hot hot but 160ish is a real good spot to be as this is where the trans operates when not having a load attached.

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast