Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Water In Fuel Sensor Bypass?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Water In Fuel Sensor Bypass?

I'm running the FASS 150 on my truck and wanted to remove the factory fuel filters. I have the engine mounted one and rear frame mounted one. The front was easy with a Fleece bypass block and allowed me to connect the WIF sensor to it. The rear one, however, has been a challenge. If you unplug it you receive a bunch of DTC's thus making me reluctant to remove it.

Through some research and help from Ray, I have the solution. Ray was able to disable the DTC's through Warp software which solved part of the problem. But if you unplug it the idiot light still came on and the message on the console said you have Water in Fuel. Per the service manual, the warning is trigged from a decrease in resistance across the sensor from the increased presence of water. It is supposed to trigger at 30-40 kilohms. My trusty electronic testing widget told me that with good fuel my sensor was providing approximately 82 kilohms of resistance. It's only a two wire sensor which makes it easy so I ran 80 kilohms of resistors to the harness and problem solved!

I only had 10 kilohm resistors so I had to solder a bunch together to test it but everything is working great with no WIF light or DTC's. I ordered some larger resistors to clean up the bypass so will run these until they get here as a test. I don't expect any issues but if anything gets weird ill be sure to post it.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Tjswa666.7l thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Hey great work! I'm positive there are a few of us out here, that would benefit from this mod. Maybe a how-to, in the future?

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Hey great work! I'm positive there are a few of us out here, that would benefit from this mod. Maybe a how-to, in the future?
    Sure. I'll do a nice one when I get the correct resistors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks C-MAN thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, C-MAN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Looking forward to it, thanks.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Wisenheimer!

I got an 82KO resistor pack from Amazon and a water-tight wire shrink/seal kit.

I took the existing WIF sensor and wired the resistor to the wires, which works flawlessly.

Code gone.

Attached Images Attached Images

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Re: Water In Fuel Sensor Bypass?

This thread has sparked my interest because I have just gotten rid of my diesel fuel filter kit setup.

I just installed a FASS and left the factory water separator, the big plug for the head, and the small sensor for the filter plugged in.

Is there a way the whole over-the-axle factory water separator filter head can be removed and or tuned out?

I'm just curious and not trying to hijack the thread but to add to it.

If it can't be tuned out, I will do this mod and await updates.

Thanks for posting this!

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post