Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cooling issues

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: cooling issues

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Yes All the dealer engine related parts are renumbered Cummins. You can go to a Cummins dealer and pay half the dealer price, right out of the box
    That's the thing. I can get a Mopar pump for $200 or I can get a cummins pump from my local distributer for $300

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CanDiesel View Post
    That's the thing. I can get a Mopar pump for $200 or I can get a cummins pump from my local distributer for $300

Have you looked at @Geno's Garage?
    https://www.genosgarage.com/category/water-pump

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Check for codes. I'm leaning towards maybe a bad Rad Cap or the fan is malfunctioning.

The fan is controlled with one of the TPS sensors. There are 2. If one of the TPS sensors goes bad, the fan will malfunction. The fan has a computer activated clutch in it. That could be bad too. When the truck is that hot, you should be hearing the fan beating at the air. They get pretty loud. Since diesels run cooler than Gas, they take a while to heat up. However, travelling at low speeds for a while, and especially with a load, there isn't enough air travelling through the rad to offset the engine load. So if I described anything here that is or isn't happening, then start looking at the fan.

You may need a scanner to detect the secondary TPS malfunction or fan codes.

I've seen this several times before on this forum. It's hard to diagnose unless you know how the system works. I don't want you throwing a bunch of money needlessly at it either. However, Rad caps are inexpensive. @Geno's Garage
    I was wondering about a rad cap to... Would be relatively inexpensive enough to try, that and a temp sending unit. You say theres two of them?? Where is the other one? I know theres one in the thermostat housing. The trucks been doing great these past couple days just normal driving down the road, just had that little episode when doing all that towing.

5. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    I was wondering about a rad cap to... Would be relatively inexpensive enough to try, that and a temp sending unit. You say theres two of them?? Where is the other one? I know theres one in the thermostat housing. The trucks been doing great these past couple days just normal driving down the road, just had that little episode when doing all that towing.
    They are part of the fuel pedal assembly. GET A SCANNER ON IT

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CanDiesel View Post

MMMM There's one I never went to the dealer for. I just use the Gates pumps. I think Gates is the OE maker of those for Cummins

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Have to checked real close for a water pump leak that is where I’d start I’ve seen it lots of times where the pump doesn’t leak much when engine is cold but warm it up and the pressure is just enough to help with the leak by pushing coolant out And then when you let it sit and cool down some all the coolant that leaked out evaporates and you don’t get a chance to see it leaking ever so slightly

9. Likes WyomingHunter liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Hey guys I'm very new to this forum,but i read this from line to line and experienced the same exact to the word problem. Less than a week a go I got my truck back from the shop so it still stings, but... It was the head gasket. It delaminated. I trust my shop and the guys that work there. I didn't have time to do it my self and also I wanted a third party opinion because the dealer said they put the best diesel tech they had on it which was bullshiz anyhow. Whole different story. But I went ahead and done studs and a new set of gaskets. Truck is a 12 Laramie longhorn with 64k miles. Full deletes. The shop said they have seen 3 gaskets like that. I did everything mentioned by everyone here and still turned out to be the head gasket. Sorry guys. It sucks.

11. Likes walla2k5, Polaraco liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

MMMM There's one I never went to the dealer for. I just use the Gates pumps. I think Gates is the OE maker of those for Cummins
    Gates is the OEM maker for Cummins

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jpd0244 View Post
    The whole time I’m sitting here thinking it’s a head gasket and it’s sucking it into the cylinder. Maybe I’m wrong but 3 gallons in one trip seems like you’d see a trail behind you. If you don’t see leaks, it’s gotta be going somewhere and seems like 3 gallons to boil off is a TON! Do a hydrocarbons test on the coolant. That’ll tell you if there’s exhaust in the coolant right? I just keep thinking it’s a head gasket.
    If it is a head gasket highly doubt truck will run and if it does it would run like **** and overheat very quickly good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Seriously, I don't have and credibility here , but I just went through this same thing. Not running hot until it creates an air pocket in the system, no oil/ coolant transfer, and pushing coolant out and over filling the resevoir. Sure enough a head gasket.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

15. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast