Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 68RFE mishimoto cooler

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2008 68RFE mishimoto cooler

So I dropped my truck off to have my guy check the trans out, it seems to be slipping in 1,2,3 but fine in 4,5,6. just seems to shift oddly. anyway, this is about the cooler part. I tow a 8.5x16 carson enclosed trailer that weighs about 8k. I live in the west where we have some pretty steep 45% grades(which I have towed over, but now go the long way around). since it looks like I am going to have to rebuild this trans, should I be putting a deep pan and cooler on it? I was looking at the mishimoto stock replacement cooler. anyone have any experience with these? I'm not new to trans problems, I had a 97 ford that ate e4od trannys. I went with a mag-hytec pan on that one, but didn't upgrade the cooler. I kinda want this truck to live as need to tow for my hobbies.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

2008 68RFE mishimoto cooler

Quote Originally Posted by nvrs View Post
    So I dropped my truck off to have my guy check the trans out, it seems to be slipping in 1,2,3 but fine in 4,5,6. just seems to shift oddly. anyway, this is about the cooler part. I tow a 8.5x16 carson enclosed trailer that weighs about 8k. I live in the west where we have some pretty steep 45% grades(which I have towed over, but now go the long way around). since it looks like I am going to have to rebuild this trans, should I be putting a deep pan and cooler on it? I was looking at the mishimoto stock replacement cooler. anyone have any experience with these? I'm not new to trans problems, I had a 97 ford that ate e4od trannys. I went with a mag-hytec pan on that one, but didn't upgrade the cooler. I kinda want this truck to live as need to tow for my hobbies.
    Welcome friend!!
    I’m sure someone will chime in that’s very knowledgeable about the trans.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 2008 68RFE mishimoto cooler

Some backstory on this one, its a 2008 2500 2wd megacab with 93k on it. I had hoped when I bought it with 50k that the tranny would last longer than 50k, but I guess not given that the previous owner had used to tow a 5th wheel(probably was a heavy one too). The truck drives much nicer than one with a 5.9 in it. I generally tow 3-5 times a year, about 6-800 miles each way, but this truck should have no problems towing my small enclosed trailer. I did notice a shudder when accelerating while towing earlier this year in 1,2,3.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have sold quite a few of the mishimoto trans coolers and my customers have been very happy with them. Anytime you are able too adding a deeper pan for more fluid to help cool is never a bad idea especially since your towing so much. Also, im not sure what kind of parts your going back with but i would recommend upgrading some internal parts to better help you with towing and to give you some peace of mind while towing.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I kinda wonder with the truck being a 2wd, will a deep pan have clearance issues or will it be ok? Last thing I would want is to have the pan hitting stuff.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I kinda wonder with the truck being a 2wd, will a deep pan have clearance issues or will it be ok? Last thing I would want is to have the pan hitting stuff.

I would do some measuring to see how low it will hang. Im sure there are some measurement specs somewhere and you can always call to get them. What kind of terrain are you going over?

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I mainly tow my trailer to a couple dirt tracks in the Nevada and Arizona desert a few times a year. Some of the pit areas have some interesting terrain, but not to the point where I would need 4wd.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I mainly tow my trailer to a couple dirt tracks in the Nevada and Arizona desert a few times a year. Some of the pit areas have some interesting terrain, but not to the point where I would need 4wd.

More then likely you will be fine but always remain cautious of high points ya know? I wouldnt think it would hang down too terribly low but without getting some measurements i don't want to confirm LOL Been awhile since i have looked under a 2wd truck.

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Any difference in pans?

I had a maghytec on my old ford, but is there anything better/worse?

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well, the cooler and mag hytec pan are here, waiting for the shop to come back with a price to rebuild the trans...

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast