Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 17" tire for towing with "M+S" rating?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Best 17" tire for towing with "M+S" rating?

So the OEM LT265/70R17 tires were toast when I bought the truck used with 35K miles on it.

I put some Cooper AT3's in LT285/75 R17 E.

Well the truck sits a little high for my 5th wheel and these didn't help that any plus I have only 6/32 left after only 28K miles, so clearly these do not stand up to towing a 10K, 5th wheel.

I think they are just slightly too tall and when towing. I'm not in the sweet spot rpm wise unless I'm driving too fast for towing in 6th and I end up towing a lot in 5th.

I'm now looking for more of a highway tire that will wear well, but it has to have the "M+S" symbol or I can't use it here in BC in the winter.

I don't take my truck off road ever and rarely even on gravel...pretty much all highway and towing 75% of the time.

I'm thinking an LT295/70R17 E?

Any suggestions?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Best 17" tire for towing with "M+S" rating?

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    So the OEM LT265/70R17 tires were toast when I bought the truck used with 35K miles on it.

Well the truck sits a little high for my 5th wheel and these didn't help that any plus I have only 6/32 left after only 28K miles, so clearly these do not stand up to towing a 10K, 5th wheel.

I think they are just slightly too tall and when towing. I'm not in the sweet spot rpm wise unless I'm driving too fast for towing in 6th and I end up towing a lot in 5th.

I'm now looking for more of a highway tire that will wear well, but it has to have the "M+S" symbol or I can't use it here in BC in the winter.

I don't take my truck off road ever and rarely even on gravel...pretty much all highway and towing 75% of the time.

Any suggestions?
    Unfortunately I don't know much about highway tires. That being said, I ran 305/70s Nitto Terra Grapplers on my factory polished 17s, they towed well and wore really well too.
    If you're concerned about the 285s being too tall 295s won't be much better, but if they fit I expect the same tires in 295 would do just as well.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't know much about highway tires. That being said, I ran 305/70s Nitto Terra Grapplers on my factory polished 17s, they towed well and wore really well too.
    If you're concerned about the 285s being too tall 295s won't be much better, but if they fit I expect the same tires in 295 would do just as well.

Greg
    I'd be going from a 75 profile to a 70 profile, so I'd be losing 1/2" in height, might have to go to a 285/70R17 E....

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I'd be going from a 75 profile to a 70 profile, so I'd be losing 1/2" in height, might have to go to a 285/70R17 E....
    I think so too.

Greg

Greg

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I see Nitto carries an LT285/70R17E in a Dura Grappler which they claim is more of a highway tire, which is what I'm looking for.

Not sure if we even have a Nitto dealer in town, it's not a brand I'm familiar with.

Do they have a good dealer network in the US?

Do they have a good reputation?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Try these out, Hankook Dynapro AT2.

I've used them in all conditions and had really great luck with them.

Run them year round in Nevada and up in Utah. Lots of highway use, towing and snow and they have lasted 50k miles (4 years).

They still had good tread depth but wanted a fresh set for winter.

I probably could have got another season out of them, but didn't want to risk it.

Just sold them for $150, which paid for one new tire.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I see Nitto carries an LT285/70R17E in a Dura Grappler which they claim is more of a highway tire, which is what I'm looking for.

Not sure if we even have a Nitto dealer in town, it's not a brand I'm familiar with.

Do they have a good dealer network in the US?

Do they have a good reputation?

I was able to order my Nittos through my local Discount Tire store.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel

Greg

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

BF Goodrich all terrain radials 285/75 R 17 is a perfect fit with a stock suspension without rubbing and the larger diameter helps make perfect gearing IMO.

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Any suggestions?
    I've beed real happy with the Falken AT3W's on my 3/4 ton. Although I don't tow heavy, I do haul heavy. A 10' camper, cord after cord of fire wood, gravel etc... on and off road. They are going into their 3rd winter and wearing nicely. I had similar results with the Cooper's as you had on my last pickup, just didn't hold up. Ran some Toyo's originally and dumped those pieces of garbage after 1 year.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The BFG ATR are more expensive than most but are as tough as nails and they seem to last forever so the extra money you pay is not wasted at all.

20. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast