Likes Likes:  56
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019+ fuel pump

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 2019+ fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMal View Post
    Thanks for the substantiation. You ever get a hint on if there was a reason for it, like air in the line, fuel issues etc? Knowing if something external may have caused the failure or just a bad part in the pump would be helpful.

Also curious about just what or how much damage was caused by that pump failure. If it would happen to someone out of warranty that also would be useful knowledge to determine what might be involved fixing the mess.
    I have no real way to tell what caused it. The fuel in the truck was clean. If I had to guess though i would say lack of lubrication some how. Or the pump was built to incorrect tolerances. It trashed the whole fuel system high pressure pump forward. So it would definitely be pricey out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks CaptainMal thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Thanks,

Out of warranty would be the time to add that bypass, safety equipment to hopefully stop pieces from going "downstream".

Appreciate the comeback.

4. Likes watersupply189, TH-64 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Im somewhat worried about the cp4, especially with the gm lawsuit going on at the moment. My truck is VERY quiet, but i cant isolate a rattling noise i get when engine is cold. May be fuel pump? If someone gets a kit available to swap back to the CP3, i will do it just for piece of mind. Also know that when i blow up a CP3 fuel pump it wont take out everything else in-line. Has anyone on here had a fuel pump issue yet? Or anyone else getting the rattling when cold. (mine makes this sound till its fully up to temps), its loud enough that my wife has asked whats wrong with my truck.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBacon View Post
    Im somewhat worried about the cp4, especially with the gm lawsuit going on at the moment. My truck is VERY quiet, but i cant isolate a rattling noise i get when engine is cold. May be fuel pump? If someone gets a kit available to swap back to the CP3, i will do it just for piece of mind. Also know that when i blow up a CP3 fuel pump it wont take out everything else in-line. Has anyone on here had a fuel pump issue yet? Or anyone else getting the rattling when cold. (mine makes this sound till its fully up to temps), its loud enough that my wife has asked whats wrong with my truck.
    Probably the same rattle mine does. It's either the CP4 or the injectors. Hard to say.
    No issues with my truck other than every once in awhile on cold start the idle fluctuates up and down pretty hard.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I try extremely hard too never let my diesel tank drop to much past the 1/2 way mark & always refill the bowl (prime) during filter swap.

I also attempt to always fuel up at the large busy truck stops (Shell of Loves) & add 6oz Schaeffers SoyShield @ every fill up.

Also I run the Fleetguard NanoNet FS53000 fuel filter up front & the Fleetguard FS20089 water/fuel separator in the rear.

Without any major fuel filtering modifications - I try to do everything within my knowledge to protect those expensive injectors & pump.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I agree with Ramit: Either pump (3 or 4) - I never let my diesel tank drop to much past the 1/2 way mark & always refill the bowl (prime) during filter swap.

I try my hardest to always fuel up at the large busy truck stops (Shell of Loves) & add 6oz Schaeffers SoyShield @ every fill up.

Also I run the Fleetguard NanoNet fuel filter up front.
    These new trucks you really shouldn't run additives in them due to pump tolerances.

Also the 5th gens now have a NanoNet filter from the factory which is awesome. I'd still prefer to run a FASS though.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I was strictly advised from my service mgr - to look into the Schaeffers SoyShield & Diesel Treat!

He is a huge diesel truck guy & recommended these 2 products as I was driving my new 2017 off the lot.

Also my uncle has used the SoyShield in his 2015 for over 140K miles with No repairs or issues!

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I was strictly advised from my service mgr - to look into the Schaeffers SoyShield & Diesel Treat!

He is a huge diesel truck guy & recommended these 2 products as I was driving my new 2017 off the lot.

Also my uncle has used the SoyShield in his 2015 for over 140K miles with No repairs or issues!
    Not discounting Schaeffers quality at all, I know they make great stuff. Just pointing out that with the CP4.2, its recommended to avoid additives due to pump tolerances.

16. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Only wonder if that's the same thinking mentally as with the 20wt oil myth - 30wt & 40wt viscosity oils not recommended due to extremely tighter/closer engine bearing clearances/ tolerances ----> But has been proven false thousands of times over.

It does stir things up a bit & add drama for interesting conversation!

My 2014 Ram w/5.7L showed lower wear #s (Via 4 UOAs) with PUP SRT 0W-40 when compared to the (Recommend) 5W-20.

Mind you: I was instructed the 5.7L was designed to run the 20wt oil due to the tighter/closer bearing clearances.
    I posted (All) my UOAs with a Very polite STFU!

I will say lastly: I don't recommend others to run diesel fuel additives!
    I will - only due to I want my equipment (within the fuel system itself) to last well beyond my limited warranty!

Ramit: I do highly respect your opinions & thank you for sharing.
    I'm just old & hard headed & go by what I've witnessed myself in person & shown proven results from a handful of trusted folks.
    I also understand how horrid the quality of Diesel is here in the states compared to other countries - adding SoyShield according to Schaeffers some what raises the quality at least up to Premium Diesel status.

This is my LAST Truck - I will report back any Truthful fuel related issues I have due to adding fuel additives.
    6oz per 30 gallons @ 650:1 ratio - I honestly can't see this tiny ratio totally changing the viscosity of the diesel fuel enough to create issues with flow through the fuel system.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Hard to say, but with the high failure rate of the 4.2, I wouldn't take any chances with it.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast