Likes Likes:  104
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any mods worth doing without tuning

1. Top Of Page | #41

User Info Menu

Re: Any mods worth doing without tuning

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

There she is...
    Exactly why I left my baffle in place minus the foam. Excellent video. Thanks for posting this.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

There she is...
    Hello Matt. This is related to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), however, this actually helps to keep dust out of the engine before it gets into the intake system. For additional information, we suggest that you reach out to RAM Customer Support Team. Thank you for contacting Cummins, SR.

This is from Cummins directly not much info other than to suggest that the foam provides additional filtration ahead of the turbo.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Hello Matt. This is related to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), however, this actually helps to keep dust out of the engine before it gets into the intake system. For additional information, we suggest that you reach out to RAM Customer Support Team. Thank you for contacting Cummins, SR.

This is from Cummins directly not much info other than to suggest that the foam provides additional filtration ahead of the turbo.
    I don’t see how it helps with air filtration being the foam is wedged between the baffle and the air tube with a straight open shot down the middle to the turbo. I think it’s more of a sound depressor than anything else.
    Thanks for the update and taking the time to check on this.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes MRMAYHEM, Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I don’t see how it helps with air filtration being the foam is wedged between the baffle and the air tube with a straight open shot down the middle to the turbo. I think it’s more of a sound depressor than anything else.

Agreed. If that foam was filtering anything out of the intake there would have to be a big air filter problem ahead of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

8. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by InlineSix.7 View Post
    Agreed. If that foam was filtering anything out of the intake there would have to be a big air filter problem ahead of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with both of you. But this was a design inclusion by Ram, not by Cummins. Hence their point about asking Ram to elaborate further. I agree it's to dampen turbo noise more than anything else.
    We will see if Ram says anything back to me.

10. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #46

User Info Menu

I agree with both of you. But this was a design inclusion by Ram, not by Cummins. Hence their point about asking Ram to elaborate further. I agree it's to dampen turbo noise more than anything else.
    We will see if Ram says anything back to me.

Right, gotta try and make diesels more .....palatable I reckon... to folks who might not otherwise buy em., since snowflakes abound.

Appreciate yer takin the time and trouble to do what ya did.

12. Likes watersupply189, RamIt, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #47

User Info Menu

For what it's worth when i removed mine for fear of desinigrating (as were have all seen with foam similar to this) and examined quite closely. I didn't detect any sort of oil nor did i detect any sort of dust or fine particles. There was some slight discoloration- green to tan or brown but this was not due to dirt.

Second thought - if this was truly some sort of filter wouldn't it need to be changed? I didn't see this in any maintenance schedule. Although i guess it is possible for Ram to develope a secondary filter with unlimited dirt holding capacity

Cheers,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

14. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #48

User Info Menu

Thanks for talking the time to follow up on this!

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

16. Likes watersupply189, RamIt, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #49

User Info Menu

Agree, RAM could just as easily made the tube straight and smooth (without making room for the piece in question) and still accomplished the same performance outlined in the video.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamIt liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #50

User Info Menu

Not a problem at all on doing the research, I'd honestly like to know for my own knowledge really.

Cummins saying that the foam is for fine particle filtration isn't totally left field; they aren't referring to the sand and dust that we encounter day to day, I think their point was around much smaller PM; which in a way would make the foam a non-serviced item.

However, as we all know, Ram's goal over the last 5 years has been to reduce NVH so that city boys will buy HD trucks to parking lot pimp with em. So it seems far more logical that the foam is a NVH item used to dampen turbo noise because as @Power247 stated, Ram could have just as easily put a normal intake pipe in with a less aggressive curve and accomplished the same thing in terms of intake performance (see: every aftermarket intake, ever)

Nothing back from Ram yet, will update if they do!

20. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345