Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Question about the Motion of the Transfer Case and Front Differential

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question about the Motion of the Transfer Case and Front Differential

I hated to create this thread but my curiosity is eating at me - due to the answer might effect the service interval of both these units.

I know from using a video of the front drive shaft during backing and moving slow forward the front drive shaft - does not turn when not in 4WD while moving. (Within these New Trucks with Electronic 4WD)

My question is: When NOT running in 4WD (since the front drive shaft does not turn) -

"Is any part of the internals within the Transfer Case and Front Differential actually (turning/moving) ------> Putting any type of stress or heat to the fluid?"

I thought at one time: I was told the front differential (gear set) does turn when not engaged in 4WD. Which this would always put a bit of stress on the fluid as well as heat load.

I was mainly thinking of the BW-44-46 Transfer Case.
    I guess I could take her out for a 20 mile ride and come back and shoot the Transfer Case itself (with my infrared temp gun) and see what type of heat was generated.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Question about the Motion of the Transfer Case and Front Differential

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I hated to create this thread buy my curiosity is eating at me - due to the answer might effect the service interval of both these units.

I know from using a video of the front drive shaft during backing and moving slow forward the front drive shaft - does not turn when not in 4WD while moving. (Within these New Trucks with Electronic 4WD)

My question is: When NOT running in 4WD (since the front drive shaft does not turn) -

"Is any part of the internals within the Transfer Case and Front Differential actually (turning/moving) ------> Putting any type of stress or heat to the fluid?"

I thought at one time: I was told the front differential (gear set) does turn when not engaged in 4WD. Which this would always put a bit of stress on the fluid as well as heat load.

I guess I could take her out for a 20 mile ride and come back and shoot the Transfer Case itself (with my infrared temp gun) and see what type of heat was generated.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my answer would be yes and no because the rear driveline still goes through it but nothing on the side for the front axle should rotate when 4wd is not engaged unlike 3rd gens. Now as for the front differential does it have an axle disconnect like the 2nd gens? My 03 3rd gen is live all the time.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my answer would be yes and no because the rear driveline still goes through it but nothing on the side for the front axle should rotate when 4wd is not engaged unlike 3rd gens. Now as for the front differential does it have an axle disconnect like the 2nd gens? My 03 3rd gen is live all the time.
    Good questions, I am following and interested to find out also.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Replace transfer case fluid 60,000 miles/48 months (normal)
    30,000 miles/24 months (severe)
    Adhere to "severe" interval if 4 wheel drive system is used frequently and/or vehicle is driven off-road.
    Replace front differential fluid (4x4) 2007.5 - 2017 15,000 miles/12 months (severe) Differential service only required if driving conditions place vehicle in "severe" service category (most vehicles will apply). Differentials should be inspected for leaks at oil change intervals. Fluid should be replaced anytime a leak is detected and immediately if axle/differential housing is submerged in water.
    2018+ 20,000 miles (severe)
    Replace rear differential fluid 2007.5 - 2017 15,000 miles/12 months (severe)
    2018+ 20,000 miles (severe)

8. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I hated to create this thread but my curiosity is eating at me - due to the answer might effect the service interval of both these units.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Chrysler changed the front axle design in 2013/2014 and went back to a center axle disconnect system similar to what they had on the 2nd gens but electric this time instead of vacuum operated. In 2wd this design allows most of the rotating mass in the front drivetrain to remain stationary which helps with fuel economy and wear and tear. On my 2012 2500 everything up to the transfer case is spinning, even in 2wd; the front axle shafts, ring and pinion and driveshaft. On your newer truck there is an input shaft and gear set spinning inside the transfer case in 2wd but nothing there should be under any load until 4wd is activated. Check out this video, not a BW transfer case but similar in design. At minute 14 he starts turning the shaft and it's a good visualization of what's going on in there.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

10. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, SyN, 03 unicorn liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'll just stay/stick with my original well thought out service intervals for both.
    2qts - equals out to be a very inexpensive service.

Thank you unicorn & inlinesix7: for your constructive & shared thoughts!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

12. Thanks 03 unicorn thanked for this post