Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: AUDIO UPGRADE WITH UNCONNECT 8.4

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

AUDIO UPGRADE WITH UNCONNECT 8.4

I have the uconnect 8.4 non nav head unit. would like to keep this and looking at upgrading my sound some. I really don't want a sub and take away my storage space. So I went to the only 2 local stereo shops in my town , one pushed new door coax speakers with a 4 chan amp or a 5 chan and a sub under my backseats. the other shop just said to upgrade to alpine coax door speakers and the 3.5 tweet and to line the doors with a sound mat, said the head would be fine with the speakers and if i want more then look at a amp.
    Audio really has never been a engrossed subject with me.
    thoughts.

THANK YOU.

Justin

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: AUDIO UPGRADE WITH UNCONNECT 8.4

Justin: Do you have a budget amount? ($$$$) you are willing to spend
    I'm no audiophile person - but giving others your amount your willing to spend might help with giving you a more accurate answer.I

I understand - most high end audio shops - what you to spend well over $1K & totally tear apart the inside of your truck.
    I'm just not a fan & I'm not 20-35 any longer!
    My Bighorn: Come with the horrid muddy sounding cheap imitation Alpine system.
    I Replaced the cheap paper sub with a low profile Pioneer & the front corner dash speakers with the JBL (Club Series) 3.5" & the rear doors with again JBL (Club Series) 6x9 - 3 Ways.

I left the front door speakers as they were - due to they are a odd duck - mid bass & full bass 6x9 no tweeter. The 8.4 does not send these speakers any highs so no need for tweeters.
    I was told the ideal set up for the front doors is to replace with a component set with a cross-over and have this system powered by a small amp. (I was not going to spend that amount of $$$).

I apologize: I'm rambling! I bought all my audio from Amazon for less then $225! It's a much improved Soundstage now. Bass is Clean & Solid & Mids/Highs are crystal clear with no distortion.

Mind you - I'm 55 & only listen to Sirius/XM & No Rap Crap - My 8.4 never gets turned past 16.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Thanks Power247, DIESELWRKS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I agree with @SyN, knowing what budget you are looking at will help. The JBL club series speakers he recommended are a solid improvement for the dash and rear doors, even more so if you have the non-alpine system. I used Infinity Reference series speakers back when I did my upgrade and they are very similar to the JBLs.
    To upgrade the front doors, i got a 6 1/2" component set (same Infinity Reference series as the others) and installed just the woofer in the door with an adapter plate. It really balanced out the sound.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks DIESELWRKS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, DIESELWRKS, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

750$ or less. when the one shop looked up my vehicle in the computer I thought he said there was a 3.5 tweet but maybe it was in regard to a speaker that had a 3.5 attached. there were other speaker choices that were told to me. JLB was one of them.
    the one shop with just the door speakers and install was about 550$ the other shop with speakers/amp and sub and box was 1200$

Justin

8. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    750$ or less. when the one shop looked up my vehicle in the computer I thought he said there was a 3.5 tweet but maybe it was in regard to a speaker that had a 3.5 attached. there were other speaker choices that were told to me. JLB was one of them.
    the one shop with just the door speakers and install was about 550$ the other shop with speakers/amp and sub and box was 1200$
    Swapping speakers is a piece of cake. If you order from Crutchfield.com they will send you all the necessary adapters to make the wiring plug and play. I have a write up on here outlining how to access all the stock speakers plus there are tons of videos on YouTube. No reason to pay a shop to do it if you have a couple hours free and some basic hand tools.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Thanks DIESELWRKS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

thanks for this info. I will research this more. I'm sure I can install the door speakers. again thanks I will look on Crutchfield. honestly never heard of them but I kind of lived under the rock with audio all my life.

Justin

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

This is how I learned how to do mine.

Good thing about Crutchfield - They will send you the proper plug & play wire adapters for the Rams.(with your order)
    No splicing or crimping needed.

Amazon & Sonic Electronics is another go to source.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

14. Thanks watersupply189, DIESELWRKS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. The only thing I do know is not Sony.
    13 yr old son told me that.

Justin

16. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have the same factory radio with the alpine premium sound system.

Added a alpine 500 4 channel dedicated to 2 slim line Memphis subs with a bass knob so only pound when I want it to.

Got to crutchfield they have all the diagrams and layouts for your truck.

18. Thanks watersupply189, DIESELWRKS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post