Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aisin troubles

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aisin troubles

Happy New Year (I hope).

On the Friday before Christmas I got a message “4 wheel drive system currently not available “ along with the lit engine symbol. Putting it in gear resulted in a substantial clunk/shudder. Forward seemed to be limited to 3rd or 4th gear (50 mph @ about 2k rpm).

Given the holidays, it was nearly 2 weeks to get an appointment at my dealer (which was better than mid January at another dealer).

I think my profile is correct but just in case... 2015 3500 crew cab, short bed, 4x4, Longhorn, Cummins, Aisin.

At end of day after dropping it off, they asked permission for 2hrs diagnostic time to drop the transmission pan. They did say that if it was determined it was a transmission failure, the repair would be covered by the drivetrain warranty and they would not charge the 2hrs.

After lunch the next day, Friday the 4th, I dropped by to see what they had found - I find talking face to face better than the phone.

They diagnosed it as the valve body assembly and were ordering one. Should be here Tuesday. Sigh.
    At least this counts as transmission service.

Anyway, I hope it gets fixed soon. I need to move my excavator to the welding shop next Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Aisin troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    Happy New Year (I hope).

On the Friday before Christmas I got a message “4 wheel drive system currently not available “ along with the lit engine symbol. Putting it in gear resulted in a substantial clunk/shudder. Forward seemed to be limited to 3rd or 4th gear (50 mph @ about 2k rpm).

Given the holidays, it was nearly 2 weeks to get an appointment at my dealer (which was better than mid January at another dealer).

I think my profile is correct but just in case... 2015 3500 crew cab, short bed, 4x4, Longhorn, Cummins, Aisin.

At end of day after dropping it off, they asked permission for 2hrs diagnostic time to drop the transmission pan. They did say that if it was determined it was a transmission failure, the repair would be covered by the drivetrain warranty and they would not charge the 2hrs.

After lunch the next day, Friday the 4th, I dropped by to see what they had found - I find talking face to face better than the phone.

They diagnosed it as the valve body assembly and were ordering one. Should be here Tuesday. Sigh.
    At least this counts as transmission service.

Anyway, I hope it gets fixed soon. I need to move my excavator to the welding shop next Thursday.

Hope this corrects your problems.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The parts came in today. They are putting it back together tomorrow though (and this is strange) they are a quart of fluid short. They don’t stock much I guess.

They gave me a printout of the codes they read out. Some are pretty strange...

ARE cap on order

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    The parts came in today. They are putting it back together tomorrow though (and this is strange) they are a quart of fluid short. They don’t stock much I guess.

They gave me a printout of the codes they read out. Some are pretty strange...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...78e52672ea.jpg

As an engineer, I was messing with CanBus back in the 90's. Actually, it's capable of allot more, programmed right. But it has a tendency of throwing Phantom codes. They've shoved allot into a small amount of memory. Unfortunately, this leads to issues like you see. It can also not detect things like bad grounds as it is configured on these trucks. This is why problems can drive techs nuts. Frankly i think it's all in who does the programming. They don't have the experience.

Back in the same 90's, I participated in a automotive system for Chrysler. The whole car was going to run on 5 or 6 wires. It was designed on CanBus which ran many robots in the day. It was capable of diagnosing every problem. It could also tell you exactly how far down the wire the problem was. The secret was every device in the car had a ID. When I messed with the factory automation (Robots) we had more room to play. We also had some of the best programmers. I was a trouble shooter. All I really did was hack the code to make corrections. We didn't have the GUI interfaces they have now.

So, unless there is bad wiring, those line items are phantoms. It could be 2 problems too. It happens. Fix one prob and another pops up.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Just curious about the history of your truck before this.. Saw 72k miles on the print out picture. Looks like puddle light, rear camera, etc. troubles also. By your comment, none of these are apparent?

I don't think I've personally heard of valve body troubles on the as69rc.... Usually clutch damage...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Aisin troubles

Quote Originally Posted by ATLAS View Post
    Just curious about the history of your truck before this.. Saw 72k miles on the print out picture. Looks like puddle light, rear camera, etc. troubles also. By your comment, none of these are apparent?

I don't think I've personally heard of valve body troubles on the as69rc.... Usually clutch damage...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    I bought it used last April with 60k on it. Given all the covers for the puck and goose ball in the bed we’re missing, I am guessing it towed a 5th wheel RV with a Curtis Companion or similar hitch. For now I do bumper pull. The previous owner traded it for a dually.

The puddle lights don’t work though the mirrors have them. This is the first time I saw codes on the truck. I have a reader at home waiting. It is a Blue Driver and it worked a treat on the DWs car using my iPad.

The tailgate was removed for me to put the ARE bed topper (with rear door) so that explains the camera code.

I talked to the dealer today. Now it is waiting on a harness for the transmission? I don’t know what to think.

ARE cap on order

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Sounds like the truck was used to its potential!

The puddle lights failure is a common issue, although typically not seen with a dtc code.. Get the dealer to fix them before warranty is up...!

The Aisin harness has been known to have exposure points that are especially vulnerable to damage....the drivers side wheel well being the primary target. If you pull the well liner, you will see the harness usually tucked up against the body. Rocks will work their way into that fender liner easily if driven offroad frequently.. The harness is also exposed near the transmission, but not as prone to damage or corrosion...

Hopefully that's the issue you're dealing with, and you'll have the truck back in a few days..!

2016 Ram 3500 CCSB/SRW LONGHORN AS69RC, What is a Deletes?, RaceMe Ultra-EGT probed, 4" FloPro TBE, Level'd, Colt 7" axleDump, 18" American Outlaws/35" Pathfinder ATs, CCV Seperator, cPitock Tuned

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I retract the puddle light warranty statement
    .. They're usually covered by 3yr/30,000 mile warranty only.. But worth a shot still.

2016 Ram 3500 CCSB/SRW LONGHORN AS69RC, What is a Deletes?, RaceMe Ultra-EGT probed, 4" FloPro TBE, Level'd, Colt 7" axleDump, 18" American Outlaws/35" Pathfinder ATs, CCV Seperator, cPitock Tuned

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ATLAS View Post
    Sounds like the truck was used to its potential!

The puddle lights failure is a common issue, although typically not seen with a dtc code.. Get the dealer to fix them before warranty is up...!

The Aisin harness has been known to have exposure points that are especially vulnerable to damage....the drivers side wheel well being the primary target. If you pull the well liner, you will see the harness usually tucked up against the body. Rocks will work their way into that fender liner easily if driven offroad frequently.. The harness is also exposed near the transmission, but not as prone to damage or corrosion...

Hopefully that's the issue you're dealing with, and you'll have the truck back in a few days..!

Got an update. Harness & valve body didn’t fix it. Now they have a TCM coming tomorrow and if it fixed it I can collect the truck in the afternoon.

I am gonna get very worried if they tell me they gotta replace the windshield.

They say they fixed the air box issue and replaced the CCV filter (that they failed to replace during the 67500 mi service).

I was suppose to deliver my mini excavator to a welding shop this morning for some offseason repairs. I called them and they were very understanding & accommodating.

ARE cap on order

18. Thanks ATLAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

TCM did not arrive Friday (or today). Was at UPS in Rhode Island yesterday but won’t be delivered till Monday. Sigh...

ARE cap on order

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast