Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE safe limits.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE safe limits.

Hey guys. Just curious from your various experience, what would be safe levels to run my truck. I have a 2016 DRW, fully deleted, 68RFE, 4.10 gears, stock meats, with an MM3 and warp tuning from Ray at Double R Diesel. I generally am pretty conservative, but cant resist the urge to get in it every once in a while once I lock up in 3rd. I have a 15k lb. camper that i pull about once a month, but only run the 30HP tune when I'm pulling. Just have heard too many horror stories, and dont really want to deal with any transmission woes until the truck is paid for. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Thanks jf336, bluestreak209 thanked for this post
    Likes Jolly liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE safe limits.

In for discussion. I worry about mine too. I just try and take it easy for the most part.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Thanks Bverbonac thanked for this post
    Likes Bverbonac, Jolly liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Two main factors in the longevity of the 68RFE transmission

1) Proper tuning
    2) Knowing how to drive it

I'm assuming you have custom transmission tuning from Ray as well? If not that's something I would highly recommend getting. Custom transmission tuning changes the shift points to keep the engine up in the rpm range that it should operate in and prevents lugging the transmission at too low of an rpm which can cause damage. The increased line pressure will also help hold the clutches together better which can be a big cause of failure.

Driving wise you essentially just need to be smart. Getting on it every once in awhile in gears 1-4 should be fine. Those gears are pretty stout and can take some power. However 5th and 6th (overdrive gears) aren't so forgiving. 5th will take a little more as the overall ratio is lower but I don't ever recommend really getting on it in 6th as that's a great way to slip the clutches and fry the transmission. Then, as mentioned above, don't let it lug at too low of an rpm. You're better off to downshift it manually and keep it up where it needs to be; especially when towing. Not doing boosted launches or burnouts is probably a good idea as well
    I've been running custom tunes from Ray for two and a half years, around 70,000+ km on everything from towing tunes, to 100hp tunes for daily driving to max performance tunes just for kicks and I haven't had any issues with the 68RFE. I drive fairly conservatively for the most part but I definitely still get on it from time to time and have some fun. I've used it to pull 10k lbs up through the mountains of BC including long stretches of 7% grades and it's holding up no problem. Just use some common sense and you should be good to go.

6. Thanks CopperHead, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes bloombloom88, Jaxonsram liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
    Two main factors in the longevity of the 68RFE transmission

1) Proper tuning
    2) Knowing how to drive it

I'm assuming you have custom transmission tuning from Ray as well? If not that's something I would highly recommend getting. Custom transmission tuning changes the shift points to keep the engine up in the rpm range that it should operate in and prevents lugging the transmission at too low of an rpm which can cause damage. The increased line pressure will also help hold the clutches together better which can be a big cause of failure.

Driving wise you essentially just need to be smart. Getting on it every once in awhile in gears 1-4 should be fine. Those gears are pretty stout and can take some power. However 5th and 6th (overdrive gears) aren't so forgiving. 5th will take a little more as the overall ratio is lower but I don't ever recommend really getting on it in 6th as that's a great way to slip the clutches and fry the transmission. Then, as mentioned above, don't let it lug at too low of an rpm. You're better off to downshift it manually and keep it up where it needs to be; especially when towing. Not doing boosted launches or burnouts is probably a good idea as well
    I've been running custom tunes from Ray for two and a half years, around 70,000+ km on everything from towing tunes, to 100hp tunes for daily driving to max performance tunes just for kicks and I haven't had any issues with the 68RFE. I drive fairly conservatively for the most part but I definitely still get on it from time to time and have some fun. I've used it to pull 10k lbs up through the mountains of BC including long stretches of 7% grades and it's holding up no problem. Just use some common sense and you should be good to go.
    I think what he said holds very true for dang near every person. However I have only been tuned for 15k miles and i am having problems already. I lock out 6th gear when towing and its in 30hp. Daily on 120 tune. From what everyone is saying drive smart and you shouldnt have any issues and i believe that is true. But just want to be honest and put my experience out there because there is always a possibility you could have the same issues. My truck is going in for a trans rebuild on the 20th covered under warranty.

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

8. Thanks CopperHead, LVAIR1, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DUST1N View Post
    I think what he said holds very true for dang near every person. However I have only been tuned for 15k miles and i am having problems already. I lock out 6th gear when towing and its in 30hp. Daily on 120 tune. From what everyone is saying drive smart and you shouldnt have any issues and i believe that is true. But just want to be honest and put my experience out there because there is always a possibility you could have the same issues. My truck is going in for a trans rebuild on the 20th covered under warranty.
    At least it is being rebuilt under warranty. I'm hoping I don't run into that. Definitely don't want to have to go through the trouble of getting the soot cooker and EGR garbage back on for warranty work. Thanks for the input.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep being careful and pray I don't have a "hangover Monday" transmission.

11. Thanks Bobbywalker083 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Very true and a good point to bring up. Well most guys will be fine with what I stated above that's not a guarantee. Unfortunately some transmissions fail prematurely even on stock trucks. Once you do start modifying them in anyway there's always a risk to parts failing. It's just part of the game.

Great that yours is being covered under warranty though. Sounds like a good dealership to be working with.

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

HAve they given you any issues about warranty and tuned?

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thake618 View Post
    HAve they given you any issues about warranty and tuned?
    Well i am the shops Snap On Dealer so i have not gotten any issues. One because i have a good relationship with them, but they did say getting it covered will not be a issue since it is a RAM product. Now anything on the engine side of it they said Cummins will ask for a snap shot of the ecm and that will likely void any warranty there.

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

15. Thanks Pimpw3ld3r25_8 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

First time I had my tranny worked on at the dealer,48K miles, no questions asked about the programming and the delete. My truck has been deleted and everything put back so as to look like its still factory. Just took it back for another tranny Issue and they said it wasnt covered because of the programming and the delete. I would have to call Chrysler and convince them. So they are taking the parts back out and I am picking it up. I am getting an aftermarket tranny that has a beefed up torque converter and 500K mile warranty...4600.00

17. Likes Cumminsram15 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast