Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuned and having shifting issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tuned and having shifting issues

I have a 2014 Laramie that has recently lost some weight and is breathing much better. I used EFI Live and the Anarchy engine and trans tune. Overall I am happy with the way the truck runs. The problem I am having is with the shifting. It will not down shift going up a hill. It lugs the engine terribly bad, and when I really give some skinny pedal, it skips several gears and takes off screaming down the road. I also towed my fifth wheel around for an hour of so to see how it would do. It was really unhappy with the camper back there. Same kind of behavior (tow haul mode or no tow haul mode doesn't make a difference), it wants to run up through the gears and stay there lugging the engine to death, and when I give it some extra throttle it skips way down and takes off. This can't possibly be normal. It towed much better before the tune. In fact it was the only time the 68RFE seemed to be in the proper gear. I can limit the up s with the column, but what a pain in the rear end. I am fairly new to pulling this camper, and even newer to the tuned world, so it could absolutey be something I am doing. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. I am thinking maybe a reflash and trans relearn. I’m not sure how to get stock tune back on the truck so I can reflash the hot tune. Thanks

2. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tuned and having shifting issues

Quote Originally Posted by Sss33 View Post
    I have a 2014 Laramie that has recently lost some weight and is breathing much better. I used EFI Live and the Anarchy engine and trans tune. Overall I am happy with the way the truck runs. The problem I am having is with the shifting. It will not down shift going up a hill. It lugs the engine terribly bad, and when I really give some skinny pedal, it skips several gears and takes off screaming down the road. I also towed my fifth wheel around for an hour of so to see how it would do. It was really unhappy with the camper back there. Same kind of behavior (tow haul mode or no tow haul mode doesn't make a difference), it wants to run up through the gears and stay there lugging the engine to death, and when I give it some extra throttle it skips way down and takes off. This can't possibly be normal. It towed much better before the tune. In fact it was the only time the 68RFE seemed to be in the proper gear. I can limit the up s with the column, but what a pain in the rear end. I am fairly new to pulling this camper, and even newer to the tuned world, so it could absolutey be something I am doing. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. I am thinking maybe a reflash and trans relearn. I’m not sure how to get stock tune back on the truck so I can reflash the hot tune. Thanks
    What HP you running while you're pulling? Did you let the trans relearn it's shift points when you put the EFI Live on? Have you contacted Anarchy?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I did call and they seemed to think it didn’t need a learn and that I should just lock out the gears when towing. The trans acted great while towing before the tune. In fact it was the only time I liked the way it shifted. My mechanic may have romped on it a little after the tune. The lowest setting was what I used while towing.

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I did call and they seemed to think it didn’t need a learn and that I should just lock out the gears when towing. The trans acted great while towing before the tune. In fact it was the only time I liked the way it shifted. My mechanic may have romped on it a little after the tune. The lowest setting was what I used while towing.
    I'd program back to stock then retune and drive a couple hundreds of miles empty. Trans needs to shift up/down as much as it can with NO wide open throttle runs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree with Mr. @cumminsdieselfreak once you have done this let us know how it goes. If it does not help at all then you may want to look at getting a revision from them or getting another tuner.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

They didn't think it needed a relearn??????

Wow.

Wrong. The jenner needs a relearn every time a new tune is flashed. And as another member has stated, it needs to run through the gears A LOT with no WOT.
    Reflash the tune and follow the Revmax relearn procedure and report back!

And as @Dude's Diesel Performance mentioned, you might want to look at another tuner; that's mad concerning that they told you it didn't need to relearn.

12. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Something doesn't sound right to me. Even without the relearn, it shouldn't be lugging like you describe. My 2012 has been flashed dozens of times over the years and never acted that badly. Hmmm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

14. Likes RamIt liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I should clarify.

Anarchy has been great to deal with. Certainly don’t want to throw them under the bus. Super customer service and they always take time to help. They have sent a new trans tune that should hold the gears a little longer. I think what the gentleman was saying was that he didn’t think a simple relearn was going to solve all the problems.

Probably poor wording on my part.

I will put the new trans tune on later this week and report back.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I should clarify.

Anarchy has been great to deal with. Certainly don’t want to throw them under the bus. Super customer service and they always take time to help. They have sent a new trans tune that should hold the gears a little longer. I think what the gentleman was saying was that he didn’t think a simple relearn was going to solve all the problems.

Probably poor wording on my part.

I will put the new trans tune on later this week and report back.
    Got it. That certainly changes the context of the situation quite a bit. Saying you don't need to relearn the transmission vs. a relearn not solving the shifting issue are two wildly different points. Regardless, a reflash/relearn are key here. The best thing you can do is follow the RevMax procedure (https://revmaxconverters.com/wp-cont...ons_revE-1.pdf) I tried the "just drive it" method on my truck and ultimately used the RevMax method after not being satisfied and the results between the two are noticeable.

I'm lucky that I have interconnected on & off ramps here so I was able to run up and down through the gears easily just by riding the ramps. If your highway is similar, I recommend this.

17. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak, Power247 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

A quick report back. Anarchy has been fantastic to deal with. Always answer the phone and patient with my 101 questions. They sent me a new trans tune that has elevated shift points. Seems to be very dependent on speed for the shift points. This is a different trans tune so its not apples to apples comparison. So far there has been a world of difference. Really not sure if the difference has been the tune or following the Revmax relearn procedure. I am about half way through their relearn procedure and it seems to be settling in a little more every day. Some of the shifts are a little firm at times but they assure me that this normal. I think I'm just paranoid that I'm killing the trans. The best part of the new tune is that it holds the gears a little longer on the way up, but down shifts at appropriate times on the way down keeping the truck from being in sixth gear all the way down to 10mph. So far so good. Im sure there are lots of good tuners out there, but Anarchy has been really good to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast