Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knocking sounds, dealer says CP3 denying warranty

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Knocking sounds, dealer says CP3 denying warranty

My truck started make a knocking noise. I took it to the dealer and am being told it needs a CP3 that's bad due to fuel contamination from the slip tank.

The truck is a 2015 3500 with a 68RFE and has 78k miles and is absolutely stock apart from a bumper and slip tank. The slip tank is plumbed through a cat fuel filter into the stock tank.

Any advise to argue my cause with the dealer or did I just lose the warranty on the motor as a whole?

Thanks.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Knocking sounds, dealer says CP3 denying warranty

Am I right, the slip tank is nothing more than a spare fuel tank ? Sorry never heard it called that before.

Since you did mention changes to the fuel system, it must be stock, and when did they say you can't have a spare fuel tank due to warrantee ? I've had mine almost since I first bought my truck without any comment from the dealer. I dumps into the original main for the truck to pull from.

If the fuel is proper, it's being filtered as you stated, there is no problem covering the CP3. If they sampled the fuel and it doesn't meet minimum specs, or you tampered with the CP3 or the lines it needs ... they are wrong. Can you go to another dealer ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes by slip tank I'm talking about a bed mounted aux tank. Its plumbed into the fill neck. Its transferred via pump through a cat fuel filter prior to dumping into the fill neck. I can possibly go to another dealer. I'm worried that they may have documented something within the Chrysler warranty system. Plus both factory filters are still in place.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

They should cover this even if the CAT filters are not OEM. provide them with the filtration specs and as long as they are equal or better they need to replace on their dime.

Aux tank shouldn’t matter either!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.j. Skibyak View Post
    My truck started make a knocking noise. I took it to the dealer and am being told it needs a CP3 that's bad due to fuel contamination from the slip tank.

The truck is a 2015 3500 with a 68RFE and has 78k miles and is absolutely stock apart from a bumper and slip tank. The slip tank is plumbed through a cat fuel filter into the stock tank.

Any advise to argue my cause with the dealer or did I just lose the warranty on the motor as a whole?

Thanks.
    Sounds like a bunch of BS to me no way in hell should you be having any problems with that little bit of mileage

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Now I'm being told that the CP3 is bad and there are metal fragments throughout the fuel system. Due to that the whole fuel system needs to be replaced. Tank to injectors. They're working on a quote to try to get it replaced under warranty. But I'm still being told there will probably be issues due to the transfer tank. Hopefully will get an answer tomorrow. But may still be waiting for a Mopar inspector to come verify everything.

I just picked up a couple diesel fuel analysis kits from CAT to go in and pull samples depending on what I'm told.

The truck ran absolutely perfectly when it went in. Beyond an odd knocking sounds. No check engine lights. No loss of power. Zero other issues.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.j. Skibyak View Post
    Now I'm being told that the CP3 is bad and there are metal fragments throughout the fuel system. Due to that the whole fuel system needs to be replaced. Tank to injectors. They're working on a quote to try to get it replaced under warranty. But I'm still being told there will probably be issues due to the transfer tank. Hopefully will get an answer tomorrow. But may still be waiting for a Mopar inspector to come verify everything.

I just picked up a couple diesel fuel analysis kits from CAT to go in and pull samples depending on what I'm told.

The truck ran absolutely perfectly when it went in. Beyond an odd knocking sounds. No check engine lights. No loss of power. Zero other issues.
    This is a load of crap- how are they saying the aux tank is at fault? These are work trucks!! The fuel filtration is there for a reason. Clearly there is something else going on

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If having a spare fuel tank is the problem ... 1,000's of trucks would have this problem.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    If having a spare fuel tank is the problem ... 1,000's of trucks would have this problem.
    X2- what I was trying to get across!

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well I just got the call. Warranty officially denied due to the truck being modified. They could care less about the filter or anything. I'm trying to coordinate with a lawyer and another mechanic to go pull fuel samples.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast