Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 68RFE Spin-on Filter Screw

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Spin-on Filter Screw

I did a quick search on this forum, and through the Google machine, but there's not much information out there about this "upgraded" steel spin-on filter screw for the 68RFE's internal filter.

Is the OEM plastic fitting really a high-fail item, or is this another case of folks crying wolf? Is there any real-world, first hand experience here in this group? Has anyone dropped their trans pan to find the filter or filter screw loose?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Spin-on Filter Screw

I've heard more negitive about the steel one then positive. Main thing with the stock one is do not over tighten it

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    I did a quick search on this forum, and through the Google machine, but there's not much information out there about this "upgraded" steel spin-on filter screw for the 68RFE's internal filter.

Is the OEM plastic fitting really a high-fail item, or is this another case of folks crying wolf? Is there any real-world, first hand experience here in this group? Has anyone dropped their trans pan to find the filter or filter screw loose?
    I bought the steel spin-on replacement once, but the threads didn’t look that great so I just opted to stick with the factory. It’s been perfectly as long as you don’t overtighten it like @RamHunter18 said, you’ll be good.

4. Likes RamHunter18 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beans20 View Post
    I bought the steel spin-on replacement once, but the threads didn’t look that great so I just opted to stick with the factory. It’s been perfectly as long as you don’t overtighten it like @RamHunter18 said, you’ll be good.
    I cleaned up the threads on the one you sent me and it’s been flawless since! Thank you again buddy!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

6. Likes beans20 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    I cleaned up the threads on the one you sent me and it’s been flawless since! Thank you again buddy!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD
    Anytime bud! I’m glad you got it fixed, that’s why I didn’t charge nothing, I’d hate for you to get it, not want it, like I did and have money in a paper weight. Plus I sold my pickup

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

As long as you are careful with the oem one you should not need the steel one. Lots of people are not kind when installing delicate items LOL

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks. I figured as much. There's more misinformation out there about the 68RFE than reliable information.

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Next spring my plans are to purchase a PPE aluminum transmission pan and replace the stock pan on my 68RFE & refill with Red Line C+ or Hot Shots Secret (New) ATF +4.

I picked up 3 of these royal purple filters months ago on sale from Amazon they were $8 ea. I’m set for at least 180K miles.

My main benefit will be at least 3X more efficiency @ filtering down to a much lower micron rating - compared to the cheap paper filter.

Note: I will remove the sticker from the filter before it is installed.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541