Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same Question, 4 Answers

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Same Question, 4 Answers

A few may know I'm looking for injectors. Trying to find the best fit for my, 06 5.9 6 speed with solid flywheel DD clutch at 105k miles. Decided to go 50 or 90 over. Have been told either are fine just driving around. The problem is when I tow. If I go 90s then I need to go with a towing twin to keep it cool. Should I do this or am I looking for problems down the road? I have cut the CAT off to keep in mind. I want to stay reliable and want to play a little as well. Am I wrong thinking 90hp is 90hp rather its an injector or a tuner. Remember I'm still learning. LOL. What do yall think? I have many questions.
    Pros and Cons of each? Thanks!

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fourteen View Post
    A few may know I'm looking for injectors. Trying to find the best fit for my, 06 5.9 6 speed with solid flywheel DD clutch at 105k miles. Decided to go 50 or 90 over. Have been told either are fine just driving around. The problem is when I tow. If I go 90s then I need to go with a towing twin to keep it cool. Should I do this or am I looking for problems down the road? I have cut the CAT off to keep in mind. I want to stay reliable and want to play a little as well. Am I wrong thinking 90hp is 90hp rather its an injector or a tuner. Remember I'm still learning. LOL. What do yall think? I have many questions.
    Pros and Cons of each? Thanks!
    Did you talk to Tim @AccurateDiesel? Best source of advice I can think of. Injectors is what he does.

You have an 06, so you can go EFI. You need to talk to Ray @Double R Diesel.

If it were me, I would go +50 and EFI. 90's are entering into a whole new spectrum and I'm not sure you want to go there. Not to mention your fuel mileage will go into the dumper.

This is a daily driver and a tow truck. I think what I am suggesting will give you a great solution. It will probably exceed your expectations. But the injectors alone won't do it. The EFI is the key.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks fourteen thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just like Grumps said. Unless your already planning on upgrading the turbo, I'd stick with +50 and get efi. EFI alone will really make a difference itself

5. Likes fourteen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

I would add my vote for 50HP's as well. They give you the best all around balance in my experience for what you are doing.

7. Thanks fourteen thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Same Question, 4 Answers

If I go 50s and EFI LIVE doesn't that still = heat? Not familiar at all and have done no research on it. Are you able to turn it up and down or is EFI LIVE continuous? Would I still need to add a turbo? Of course my concern is when I do tow my travel trailer or gooseneck.

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

9. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

The 50HP injector alone is safe with a stock turbo. From an injector durability standpoint, it is better long-term to have a higher flow injector vs a stock injector being driven harder through programming. That is why we recommend a mild performance injector, and then you can customer tailor programming to your tastes from there.

10. Thanks fourteen thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fourteen View Post
    If I go 50s and EFI LIVE doesn't that still = heat? Not familiar at all and have done no research on it. Are you able to turn it up and down or is EFI LIVE continuous? Would I still need to add a turbo? Of course my concern is when I do tow my travel trailer or gooseneck.
    50's alone will still run a bit hotter than stock, but shouldn't get dangerous. Add efi and then you can have it how you want it... well to a degree. But for you DD tune can have it set for best mpgs, then have a tune for all out power the days you wanna play, turn around a hook to a trailer and load up the tow tune that makes use of the 50's but still keeps EGTs in check. When modding a truck you gotta look at what you want your truck to do. Look at the end goal, then find the best way to get there in stages. Unless you have deep pockets of course. You'll be fine and safe to upgrade to 50's now, and efi or another tuner when you can, and if you still have the itch build from there

12. Thanks fourteen thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Same Question, 4 Answers

"EFILive, in conjunction with tuners across the country, is about to release a five-position switch for the Cummins that allows the ’06-to-’09 Cummins-powered trucks to be changed between tunes on the fly. The new calibration also has advanced and updated data-logging capabilities."

This is on EFI LIVE web site. Does anyone know if this is available yet?

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I'm not the expert on EFI, but I have been keeping my ear to the ground on it. Unfortunately, I can't use EFI on my 03. Last I heard though, the switch was available preorder only. @Double R Diesel can answer that better.

I just want to embellish on what Wildman said. You will get GREAT results if you upgrade the turbo with the 50's. But stay with a single turbo.

Yes it will run a bit hotter. I actually benefit in the winter because the truck warms up faster. But the boys can keep those EGT's in check for you.

If you stick with this plan, that truck will rock!

I have +50's. Since I went to the Smarty, I have to admit it's using them for what they were put in there for. Can't wait for the UDC to be done.

By the way, there is one PO'd Mex out there. He was egging me on to run him today. And for the first few seconds, I saw the letter Accura and his head back laughing at me. But then I hit 2nd gear. C ya

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Actually spoke with Paul this evening Steve. I don't have all the answers for him yet...but it's in the works.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

16. Likes fourteen liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast