Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing ~8K pounds

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Towing ~8K pounds

Hey guys, just wanted to make a post because I could never find one as detailed as I wanted on what to expect when towing.

Yesterday I towed a 7x18 car hauler with a 1982 Ramcharger on it from NH to VA. About 12 hours overnight, stopped for fuel 3 times just to make sure I didn't go below ~1/4 tank.

Driving a 2018 2500 crew cab 6ft bed, I ended the trip with an average 18.1 MPG with cruise control set at 55 MPH. I have an MM3 from Double R Diesel running the 30HP tune and was monitoring ECT/EGT/trans temp the whole way. I'm also running a 95GPH FASS pump with a Beans sump draw, and S&B CAI to match the 5" turbo back. My highest EGT reading was 999.5F going through the big hills of Connecticut on the highway on the way down. My coolant maintained roughly 192F, and my trans never went above 170F on the road.

The biggest tip I can give that I know is common knowledge is to tow in a lower gear to maintain about 1600-1800 RPM. I was using the "manual" shift to switch between letting the truck go to 6th and keeping it in 5th gear and couldn't believe the immediate difference in EGT readings and smoother boost going up and down the hills.

I'm sure this is common knowledge as I said, I just wanted to provide more details and hope this helps out someone looking for information. Remember to keep your tow mirrors out too for extra HP

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Towing ~8K pounds

That last sentence.

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiffer View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to make a post because I could never find one as detailed as I wanted on what to expect when towing.

Yesterday I towed a 7x18 car hauler with a 1982 Ramcharger on it from NH to VA. About 12 hours overnight, stopped for fuel 3 times just to make sure I didn't go below ~1/4 tank.

Driving a 2018 2500 crew cab 6ft bed, I ended the trip with an average 18.1 MPG with cruise control set at 55 MPH. I have an MM3 from Double R Diesel running the 30HP tune and was monitoring ECT/EGT/trans temp the whole way. I'm also running a 95GPH FASS pump with a Beans sump draw, and S&B CAI to match the 5" turbo back. My highest EGT reading was 999.5F going through the big hills of Connecticut on the highway on the way down. My coolant maintained roughly 192F, and my trans never went above 170F on the road.

The biggest tip I can give that I know is common knowledge is to tow in a lower gear to maintain about 1600-1800 RPM. I was using the "manual" shift to switch between letting the truck go to 6th and keeping it in 5th gear and couldn't believe the immediate difference in EGT readings and smoother boost going up and down the hills.

I'm sure this is common knowledge as I said, I just wanted to provide more details and hope this helps out someone looking for information. Remember to keep your tow mirrors out too for extra HP
    Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    That last sentence.
    Congratulations! I wish all these guys would be as detailed as you. Sometimes I want to shove the keyboard in the monitor

Unicorn I agree

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sounds like you did everything right.

For what it's worth, with that Beans sump and external pump, you really don't have to worry about the 1/4 tank rule. That applies to a factory in-tank lift pump setup.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

7. Likes watersupply189, RamHunter18 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Skiffer.. Do you use TOW/HAUL On or Off?

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Congratulations! I wish all these guys would be as detailed as you. Sometimes I want to shove the keyboard in the monitor

Unicorn I agree
    I guess I lose horse power when I'm not towing

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Rapidfire_70 I'm not really a fan of tow/haul because it downshifts pretty hard when you go downhill and gain any speed. Going downhill I just give her a little acceleration before the hill to match the current cruise control and turn cruise off before using the exhaust brake. I try to make sure I'm "matching" cruise control before turning it off to avoid the sudden stop in power and resulting lurch. I feel like my truck hates me when I accidentally do that haha

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

@OneTon I agree the 1/4 tank doesn't apply when you go full aftermarket fuel system like I have, I just still try to avoid it as much as possible for peace of mind. Plus I don't wanna start getting anxiety about looking for a fuel station when I'm low on fuel

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The anxiety of looking for fuel and not finding any is the reason I carry 121 gallons of fuel

16. Likes watersupply189, skiffer liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I am new to diesels what is the 1/4 tank rule all about?

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast