Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Trans over heating

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Trans over heating

How’s it going I am having some issues with my transmission for some reason it likes to get hot when i sit in drive through. Earlier it hit 212 and it was 70 degrees outside. Another thing too my trans runs cooler when I have the ac on. If I’m driving with the ac off on a hot day my trans will reach 217 and if I turn the ac on it will reach 186 is that normal? It’s a 2003 wity the 48re. Thanks in advance.

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trans over heating

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by that_loud_diesel View Post
    How’s it going I am having some issues with my transmission for some reason it likes to get hot when i sit in drive through. Earlier it hit 212 and it was 70 degrees outside. Another thing too my trans runs cooler when I have the ac on. If I’m driving with the ac off on a hot day my trans will reach 217 and if I turn the ac on it will reach 186 is that normal? It’s a 2003 wity the 48re. Thanks in advance.
    How many miles on your transmission ?
    Has it ever been serviced ?
    What kind of mods have you done ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That’s getting way to hot I would say you have some problems you never said if that’s just the truck or a load ?
    Most likely gonna have to be replaced or rebuilt

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    That’s getting way to hot I would say you have some problems you never said if that’s just the truck or a load ?
    Most likely gonna have to be replaced or rebuilt
    It’s without a load. Highway speeds it’s good stop and go traffic it’s gets to 190 but if I am stopped for a long time like in drive through sit gets to about 212-217

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

How does it behave otherwise? Is temperature the only problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It’s without a load. Highway speeds it’s good stop and go traffic it’s gets to 190 but if I am stopped for a long time like in drive through sit gets to about 212-217
    When you are sitting in the drive through, try throwing it in neutral. That way, the torque converter will still rotate and get fluid to cool it down. I believe on a stock tranny it will rotate in neutral, but not in Park. On my 3rd gen I had put in an ATS tranny which would then rotate in Park and neutral, I also remember them saying to not worry about the temp unless I was hitting around 230-240, that’s the temp where the fluid risks getting “burnt”. Of course, if this is a new issue then you may have an issue, but just a thought..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie, Taken care of by DRD, Carli Leveling Kit, RBP 94r 20x9 Wheels, and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, too many to list...

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Power247 liked this post