Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.7 Heater Grid Delete Cold Start Pluged In

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

6.7 Heater Grid Delete Cold Start Pluged In

Just some info for those who are on the fence about heater grid deletes. Truck started right up (plugged in) 26 degrees outside. The truck will take a little longer to get to working temp however I didnt have an issue this morning with the truck pluged in. Temp was 8 degrees yesterday and started without issue as well.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 6.7 Heater Grid Delete Cold Start Pluged In

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Just some info for those who are on the fence about heater grid deletes. Truck started right up (plugged in) 26 degrees outside. The truck will take a little longer to get to working temp however I didnt have an issue this morning with the truck pluged in. Temp was 8 degrees yesterday and started without issue as well.

Do you run EB while warming it up? I have thought about deleting the grid - truck warms up quickly with grid and EB...not sure how much longer it would take without grid cycling. I feel like the EB would be warming more than the grid

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Do you run EB while warming it up? I have thought about deleting the grid - truck warms up quickly with grid and EB...not sure how much longer it would take without grid cycling. I feel like the EB would be warming more than the grid
    Texneck, I use the EB on cold starts. I would say the difference between using and not using is a couple of min difference. Being 99% of the time in South East Texas I would benefit with more airflow than the heater grid. Ut the truck does well without the grid aswell.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Texneck, I use the EB on cold starts. I would say the difference between using and not using is a couple of min difference. Being 99% of the time in South East Texas I would benefit with more airflow than the heater grid. Ut the truck does well without the grid aswell.

Thanks for the info- I’m over here in San Antone so think this may happen!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It's my understanding that the grid heater is just to warm the intake air for cold starts for the intial start up. I dont think the grid heater keeps running during the warm up phase. I think it cycles, gets the air hot and then shuts off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

After the engine has been started, the post-heat cycle I think that is what its technically called, takes over. If the temp is below 59 deg, the heaters will still cycle on and off depending on the outside air temp and how quickly the Cummins gets to warm. You will notice the voltmeter moving as the heaters are cycled. They draw 120 amps this is why headlights or dash lights my flutter or dim as the batteries are working hard to supply current to all circuits.
    I cant remember at what temp is considered warm and they stop cycling.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    After the engine has been started, the post-heat cycle I think that is what its technically called, takes over. If the temp is below 59 deg, the heaters will still cycle on and off depending on the outside air temp and how quickly the Cummins gets to warm. You will notice the voltmeter moving as the heaters are cycled. They draw 120 amps this is why headlights or dash lights my flutter or dim as the batteries are working hard to supply current to all circuits.
    I cant remember at what temp is considered warm and they stop cycling.
    I didn't know that. That's a ton of current to draw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Cummins says they will start at -20*. But without the grid, it can get ugly. At least you can use Either now. The grid heater is the reason you can't use eathe

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Cummins says they will start at -20*. But without the grid, it can get ugly. At least you can use Either now. The grid heater is the reason you can't use eathe
    Polarco I would hate to be in -20 conditions and I bet it would be a roughh start. Also I was unaware we could use eather after the grid is gone. I read somewhwere eather could cause damage to the rods/crank due to the very quick combustion and excessive pressure it would create. But I'm no expert so IDK.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Did a donut in a smaller parking lot. Thats something I havent done in a long time. Brings back old memories.

20. Likes watersupply189, Power247, Diesel307 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast