Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: A/C Evaportator Core Leak

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

A/C Evaportator Core Leak

My son's 2001 2500 A/C blowing hot air, had it serviced about a 9 months ago, blew cold, no complaints.
    My mechanic did tell me then that if the refrigerant leaks out again, it's probably going to be at the evaporator core. Took it in yesterday and he confirmed it is leaking at the evaporator core. He suggested that while he's in there I should replace the heater core and blend door as well.
    Anything else I should look at to have replaced while he's in there?
    I'm already looking at around $1250.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: A/C Evaportator Core Leak

You can try to mount a screen between the fan and the evap. It will keep the crap out of the core. Then you can just take the out and vacuum it out if the air flow starts to diminish. But given it's gone 16 years, it's a wonder why worry about it.

I have to do that to mine

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    My son's 2001 2500 A/C blowing hot air, had it serviced about a 9 months ago, blew cold, no complaints.
    My mechanic did tell me then that if the refrigerant leaks out again, it's probably going to be at the evaporator core. Took it in yesterday and he confirmed it is leaking at the evaporator core. He suggested that while he's in there I should replace the heater core and blend door as well.
    Anything else I should look at to have replaced while he's in there?
    I'm already looking at around $1250.
    Well bro I hate to hear that but that is a major job tearing apart the dash and it is an all day job sorry bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yup, kind of why I'm outsourcing it.
    1. I don't have a shop to do it in.
    2. Its gonna be 97 here for the 3 days.
    3. Did I mention its gonna be 97 here.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Good luck bud I had to get it fixed on my 97 a few years ago and I have a good shop with a great mechanic and they are closed on Saturday and that's when they fixed mine he had it done in a half a day I was so Happy to get it fixed

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Sounds like a decent price to me, I did the ones in my 98 and 05 here in the driveway and it sucks, but I have a hard time paying someone to do thing's I can do myself, plus, I'm an a hole when it comes to other people working on my truck.

Sounds like your guy knows what's up.

9. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thundervee View Post
    Sounds like a decent price to me, I did the ones in my 98 and 05 here in the driveway and it sucks, but I have a hard time paying someone to do thing's I can do myself, plus, I'm an a hole when it comes to other people working on my truck.

Sounds like your guy knows what's up.
    I know what you mean about being an A hole about people working on your stuff I am fortunate enough that I have a couple great mechanics that can do anything and are really cool guys and also have a Transmission guy who is the best in the buisness and he is cool as **** too