Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: starting problems

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

but once running if you step on the fuel it puts out black smoke but has never been chipped i was told the pervious owner had the factory put a 10% increase on the fuel system

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 99Cummins24 View Post
    but once running if you step on the fuel it puts out black smoke but has never been chipped i was told the pervious owner had the factory put a 10% increase on the fuel system
    Well I will admit that your year model is not my specialty but in general knowledge black smoke doesn't necessarily mean the engine is getting lots of fuel. Sure pumps that push more volume will roll coal till the turbo cleans things up, but low injection pressure will cause black smoke due too poor fuel atomization. I'd say if it runs well, no missing, and has plenty of power...then you are getting adequate fuel and pressure from the injection pump while it's running. But the hard start with the lack of any "about to start and run" smoke still tells me the fuel system maybe loosing prime for some reason. This one has me scratching my head too.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

my father had a similar problem with his 01 and they told him there ws a glass ball in the injection pump that broke so it looses all prime does that sound possible?

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

my father had a similar problem with his 01 and they told him there ws a glass ball in the injection pump that broke so it looses all prime does that sound possible?
    Sounds like a check valve of some sort. I've never disassembled a pump like yours, only replaced. If you loose a check valve, then yes it can cause a loss of prime and hard start if air enters the injection circuits going to the cylinders.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Top Of Page | #15
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

if jump started it starts almost as soon as you dump the clutch would this be because it turns the pump fast enough to prime the system again

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

if jump started it starts almost as soon as you dump the clutch would this be because it turns the pump fast enough to prime the system again
    Very good chance so

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

now if there was a hole in a line somewhere wouldn't it spue fuel out because of the pressure or would it just allow air to get in

8. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

now if there was a hole in a line somewhere wouldn't it spue fuel out because of the pressure or would it just allow air to get in
    If there was a hole on a postive pressure line, it would leak while the truck was in operation but could catch air while at rest. A hole in a suction/negative pressure line would draw air while in operation and possibly leak fuel, but most likely would not spew fuel. When trying to diagnose a fuel leak back issue, always start at the tank and work your way back to the engine checking for the culprit.

9. Top Of Page | #19
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

it doesn't leak any fuel if you drain the fuel filter then cycle the key 3 times the lift pump fills the fuel filter back up so i know the lift pump is working and its getting fuel there. ill look into having the valves looked at if thats what your suggesting and also do you know if 05 stock rims will fit a 99? i have a good deal on some 05 rims that id like to put on my truck just wondering if they'd fit

10. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Valve adjustment will not hurt. Based on your feedback I'd say the problem could still be with injection pump catching air/leaking back somehow. But I'm guessing too. Not sure about the wheels but most heavy duty rams use a 8 lug x 6.5 inch bolt pattern wheel.

Good luck with getting your truck right. I'm 100 percent sure you can find the issue and get it fixed. It doesn't sound like it's too big of a problem. Worst case, maybe a new injection pump and injectors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast