Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 5500 dead in the water/Def warning will not start in zero miles

1. Top Of Page | #1

2013 5500 dead in the water/Def warning will not start in zero miles

Well it finally happened, been warned for about the last 6 months, first warning I thing was 100 miles until truck won't start, finally got down to 5 miles a couple of weeks ago then finally a week ago I saw it go to zero. I was hauling a dozer that had broke down that day and needed to haul another one back to that location, being concerned about the warning I decided not to shut the truck off in fear it would not start again, got the job done, noticing the truck didn't have the power it usually had. The next day I unloaded the dozer and dollied the trailer then went to start the truck, didn't even click when I turned the key, batteries are charged. Has anyone had this problem? I guess the real question is not has, but how may, and can I at least get it started some way. I have been planning to get a programmer/tuner for a while now but it is a little confusing as to which tuner is the right one for the cab and chassis trucks. Would love some responses from you guys. Thanks.

2. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2013 5500 dead in the water/Def warning will not start in zero miles

Quote Originally Posted by pwking13 View Post
    Well it finally happened, been warned for about the last 6 months, first warning I thing was 100 miles until truck won't start, finally got down to 5 miles a couple of weeks ago then finally a week ago I saw it go to zero. I was hauling a dozer that had broke down that day and needed to haul another one back to that location, being concerned about the warning I decided not to shut the truck off in fear it would not start again, got the job done, noticing the truck didn't have the power it usually had. The next day I unloaded the dozer and dollied the trailer then went to start the truck, didn't even click when I turned the key, batteries are charged. Has anyone had this problem? I guess the real question is not has, but how may, and can I at least get it started some way. I have been planning to get a programmer/tuner for a while now but it is a little confusing as to which tuner is the right one for the cab and chassis trucks. Would love some responses from you guys. Thanks.
    Sounds like the truck is in limp mode.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes Power247, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Get your hands on a scanner and pull the codes. Hopefully that will help determine what's wrong and best steps to repair. Tuning the C&C trucks is a bit different than the regular trucks but there are reputable companies that can hook you up if that's the route you decide to take.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes walla2k5, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I agree, get a scanner to find the codes to help you diagnose the issue. It may be as simple as a sensor.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Check out DRD MM3 ULTRA By Double R Diesel I use it and highly recommend it Friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So you only drove a 100 miles in 6 months? Likely a def issue, most of the count down problems are due to def. What other warnings did you see?

12. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    So you only drove a 100 miles in 6 months? Likely a def issue, most of the count down problems are due to def. What other warnings did you see?
    No, I drove it a few thousand after the first warning, warning was intermittent, it would come and go, then the mileage to no start would get lower and lower until eventually it hit zero.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

How many miles are on your truck? I just deleted mine (2500) at 71,000 miles and where the def injector mounts to the scr was almost completely closed off with corrosion build up. That's where I would start is to pull off that injector and see what yours looks like, might just be able to clean that and clear the codes and see if it is the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 2500, MM3 tuned by DRD, leveled with 35x12.50R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x10 ATX wheels, Auxbeam LED's, factory air ride

14. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I'm going to ask the stupid question here, but have you put DEF back in it?

The EPA mandated a No Start condition on an empty DEF reservoir. Additionally, any particular reason you didn't fill the DEF tank when the warnings started?

I apologize if I'm WILDLY missing something here; just seems like a pretty straight forward problem and resolution.

16. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

From my understanding from a situation like this the computer needs to be reset by dealer? I've heard of this happening from DEF being empty or frozen. I heard all this from a good friend who works at the chrysler garage, fwiw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast