Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo upgrade for ultimate towing truck?

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo upgrade for ultimate towing truck?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Have you considered a gear swap? Say 4.10 or 4.56:1 ratio with the taller tires. Getting some torque multiplication back to the tires might be what you're looking for with the 90 hp tune.

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Having done quite a few of the older trucks (no i haven't played too much with the newer ones, as i just got mine as well) But I am pretty positive that a clutch upgrade will be in your near future, especially if you are gonna start throwing the power to it. We have run both South Bend and Valair clutches depending on the application that we were using for.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mk1spyder View Post
    High there new to the forums, I have a brand new G56 2018 Regular Cab 4x4 2500. Going to do an AEV prospector XL build with it, will be using it to tow my H1 Hummer trail vehicle. I also use it to tow for my business, got some MP 14 ply 41" tires for it (yes I know rough ride but they wont wear down fast and they can support the load I need over a standard C-D load range tire that big).

My question is I want to do some fun stuff to the engine, but nothing terribly serious. Just want to get it flowing air properly, keep the EGRs down, look good when I pop the hood, and run rock solid. I am a gear queer for high flow manifolds/pipes/turbos I don't know why I just love them. I purchased the lifetime membership so I can use DRD tuning. Anyways back to my question, assuming I do the basic bolt on mods, emissions delete, DRD tune, can I run a steed speed manifold w/ATS compound kit on the stock turbo and not have to do fuel upgrades? Or do I need to look at injectors / dual CP3 pump to be safe? Also if I keep the tune fairly low can I stay away from having to do head studs etc....

Also does my de-tuned 18 regular cab G56 have the same smaller turbo as the chassis cab trucks or is it the same as the regular 68RFE trucks just turned down? Also is the stock 18 turbo a T4 or T3 flange?

Also maybe I'm crazy but how does cramming twice the air volume through the stock turbo flange lower EGR's? Doesn't make sense to me that a compound turbo would lower the EGT's with the same size stock turbo bottleneck in the system but I guess I don't understand physics.
    Welcome

Unless you have deep pockets, I never recommend high performance hardware like that for a tow vehicle. It has adverse effects on the drive train. Last thing you need it to have your toy hauler leaving you stranded with a load on it. Just my educated/experienced .002. You'd be better with the Shibby Engineering Air horn with the grid heater delete and, if needed, a remote grid heater. Talk to @Dude's Diesel Performance or @Double R Diesel about them. I don't give a scrap about all the hype on the other brands, Shibby is the best.

You'd e better off with a good tune from DRD with maybe a dedicated tow tune. It can easily be turned off.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes walla2k5, david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26

That just doesn't sound any fun, I am way less responsible than that LOL.

I wonder if a T6 ball bearing Garrett would fly, I love them coming from the car world.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

There are a lot of turbo's out there. I would probably contact BD Diesel performance and see what they recommend. I have a Super B Special on my 12V and that thing is a beast of a turbo. Once it spools its GONE!! I have towed with it many times, but being a 12V you gotta learn how to drive it. My truck really should have twins on it, but the special does a excellent job of clearing it up when its spooled right. I have it wastegated at 45lbs. But I'm telling you, the clutch will slip once you start slamming the power to them. We have toasted many.

11. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #28

Even if I get a SBC 3250 or stronger?

I just want a fun reliable 500hp-600hp. If I keep the fuel down I shouldn't have to worry about waste-gating it right?

That could add to the cost.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

As you probably know and like Polarco mentioned it’s a slippery slope for reliability once adding power. Bottom line for 500-600hp reliability you will need (1-3)

1. Upgraded clutch- trans is no fun but if you are spending money adding power you need to get it to the ground.

2. Anything over 35psi boost you are flirting with blowing the head gasket.

3. DRD tuning all the way - his tunes are super efficient and fun to drive with.

4. Personal opinion is 2nd gen swap for a 467 or similar size. It’ll spool like stock. EGTs will stay down with the new manifold location.

If budget isn’t a problem then compounds with stock turbo and then 480 or something. The pusher kit looks nice. The stock turbo can cause issues but there are several available since a lot of guys pulls them and they can be had for $500 ish. Swapping a replacement shouldn’t be too hard with pusher kit I don’t believe

For 2nd gen swap
    Over 2k rpm boost will instantly light for 10psi to 40+

Clayton over at Dudes diesel is awesome to work with and can hook you up with everything you want and need. I defiantly recommend a clutch even though the parts you can’t see aren’t as fun to buy. If you weren’t so worried about reliability I’d say throw power to it and let us ride until you blow a clutch then replace it.

Keep us posted!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Thanks watersupply189, Jaxonsram, david3gen thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Okay now I know exactly what you want.
    Now all the products I am going to recommend are the products I would personally run on my truck many of them I do.

So lets say egr is already deleted.
    1. Steed speed exhaust manifold with new gaskets
    2. 4" or 5" exhaust your preference
    3. S&B is the best cold air intake system for these trucks on the market
    4. Banks 3.5" intake horn
    5. Heater grid delete is your preference
    6. Fass 90gph lift pump with sump kit
    7. Fuel distribution block
    8. DRD tunes on an MM3 tuner with egt sensor

Intercooler hoses are your preference but factory flows fine along with the radiator.

If there are any factory components you are unsure if you should upgrade feel free to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Can you explain the fuel distribution block and benefits? I understand all the other items on the list.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast