Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 5500 dead in the water/Def warning will not start in zero miles

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 2013 5500 dead in the water/Def warning will not start in zero miles

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    From my understanding from a situation like this the computer needs to be reset by dealer? I've heard of this happening from DEF being empty or frozen. I heard all this from a good friend who works at the chrysler garage, fwiw.
    http://owners.Mopar.ca/en/manuals/20...-OM-SU-1st.pdf

Straight from the supplement:

Engine Will Not Restart Refill DEF — This messagewill display when the DEF driving range is less than 1mile, DEF fluid top off is required or the engine will notrestart. The message will be displayed in the InstrumentCluster Display during vehicle start up, and it will beaccompanied by a single chime. The DEF Low telltalewill be illuminated continuously until DEF fluid tank isfilled with a minimum of two gallons of DEF.

Unless there is an accompanying part fault, OP should simply need to put some DEF in the truck and KOEO until the DEF gauge registers fluid. At which point the engine should fire.

@pwking13 can you confirm the error message being displayed on your MDIC

2. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

I am quite aware of the the low def warning, this is quite different. This warning goes somewhat like this, " service DEF vehicle will not start in 100 miles, see dealer", intermittently, then go away and come back on, this time maybe 50 miles to no start and start to count down to about 40 mile, then restart at 50 miles again, next time it would start at 40 and do the same countdown, until finally it got to zero one day and that's when it would not stall the next day, would not even let the engine turn over, Last night I order the Cab & Chassis tuner from DRD, today the informed me they could not fill the order with the Vin# I provided them and returned my money, They informed me they had no tune for a 2011-12 cab & chassis. So here I am looking for another solution to my problem, any help would be much appreciated. Does anyone have a tune for a 2012 Cab & chassis?

4. Top Of Page | #13

It has @ 50% of DEF . This is a different warning, a mile countdown to no start condition.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I had a brief discussion with a good friend who happens to be a chrysler master tech at our local dealership. I'll attempt to post the picture of screen shot. 12:5500.pdf

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pwking13 View Post
    I am quite aware of the the low def warning, this is quite different. This warning goes somewhat like this, " service DEF vehicle will not start in 100 miles, see dealer", intermittently, then go away and come back on, this time maybe 50 miles to no start and start to count down to about 40 mile, then restart at 50 miles again, next time it would start at 40 and do the same countdown, until finally it got to zero one day and that's when it would not stall the next day, would not even let the engine turn over, Last night I order the Cab & Chassis tuner from DRD, today the informed me they could not fill the order with the Vin# I provided them and returned my money, They informed me they had no tune for a 2011-12 cab & chassis. So here I am looking for another solution to my problem, any help would be much appreciated. Does anyone have a tune for a 2012 Cab & chassis?
    ohhh ok, i apologize for not understanding your post. Since its the Service DEF warning, then you need to have it towed to your dealer for repair or delete the emissions equipment all together (which I understand you are looking to do).

DRD shows MCC tuning available for 2012 C&C trucks, but I see that MM3 & RaceMe are not currently supported for C&C. However, you may want to explore EFI Live.

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pwking13 View Post
    Well it finally happened, been warned for about the last 6 months, first warning I thing was 100 miles until truck won't start, finally got down to 5 miles a couple of weeks ago then finally a week ago I saw it go to zero. I was hauling a dozer that had broke down that day and needed to haul another one back to that location, being concerned about the warning I decided not to shut the truck off in fear it would not start again, got the job done, noticing the truck didn't have the power it usually had. The next day I unloaded the dozer and dollied the trailer then went to start the truck, didn't even click when I turned the key, batteries are charged. Has anyone had this problem? I guess the real question is not has, but how may, and can I at least get it started some way. I have been planning to get a programmer/tuner for a while now but it is a little confusing as to which tuner is the right one for the cab and chassis trucks. Would love some responses from you guys. Thanks.
    We had a 2012 3500 cab chassis act like that. Dealer replaced the DEF pump and it has been good for the last 6 years.

8. Top Of Page | #17

Thanks.

9. Top Of Page | #18

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    ohhh ok, i apologize for not understanding your post. Since its the Service DEF warning, then you need to have it towed to your dealer for repair or delete the emissions equipment all together (which I understand you are looking to do).

DRD shows MCC tuning available for 2012 C&C trucks, but I see that MM3 & RaceMe are not currently supported for C&C. However, you may want to explore EFI Live.
    Yeah I just need to get something to get it running again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12