Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  111
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Engine oil

Hello. I have a 2006 cummins. Just wondering what oil spec you all are running? Recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Engine oil

I run 15-40W Royal Purple in mine. Never had any issues with it and I run it in all my other vehicles I’ve owned. Best oil out there in my opinion.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

This can vary by the amount of people that respond to your question.
    I now use Rotella T6 5w-40, it has proven itself by lab results ... for me, and is easy to find on the road and at home, prices are not out of this solar system, and plenty of containers volume when oil changes are needed. In the past I have used Mobil 1 5w-40 and with lab test, been happy with it. I also have friends that use about every other brand and weight configuration out there .. and swear by it. And I will admit, they have confirmed by lab results to back their claims.

I highly recommend using full sync oil, of a brand name, and by the weight recommended by your owners manual at a minimum. Then, say after 10k, send a sample into a quality lab, (I use BlackStone, but any quality lab will do) and see if the oil is in acceptable specs. The reason is: Cummins usually recommends oil changes for constant heavy loads at 7.5K and non heavy loads use at 15k. You will see if your selection is within oil specs that best protects your investment.

(just food for thought): If you will be in an area than does not have very cold weather, use the weight recommended by the manual and minimum. Now: I am an area that recommends 15w-40, but have been known to get a hair up my *** and hit the road ending in who knows what area for a few days .. plus don't knows the weather and temps at that time. So I use a 5w-40 year round without any problems. Like I said, just food for thought.

I'm sorry, I just noticed you live in .. Norway.
    Please change the 5w-40 suggestion to 0w-40. I understand it's like living inside a freezer in winter there.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Without lab sampling, you Just never know. Thanks to @AnOldBiker for that tip a couple years ago, I have been sampling oil thru Blackstone as well since he pointed me in that direction. Well worth the peace of mind. Any quality synthetic should do the job tho. The sampling allows you to comfortably run extended oil change intervals safely and confidently helping to offset the sampling cost.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

6. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    This can vary by the amount of people that respond to your question.
    I now use Rotella T6 5w-40, it has proven itself by lab results ... for me, and is easy to find on the road and at home, prices are not out of this solar system, and plenty of containers volume when oil changes are needed. In the past I have used Mobil 1 5w-40 and with lab test, been happy with it. I also have friends that use about every other brand and weight configuration out there .. and swear by it. And I will admit, they have confirmed by lab results to back their claims.

I highly recommend using full sync oil, of a brand name, and by the weight recommended by your owners manual at a minimum. Then, say after 10k, send a sample into a quality lab, (I use BlackStone, but any quality lab will do) and see if the oil is in acceptable specs. The reason is: Cummins usually recommends oil changes for constant heavy loads at 7.5K and non heavy loads use at 15k. You will see if your selection is within oil specs that best protects your investment.

(just food for thought): If you will be in an area than does not have very cold weather, use the weight recommended by the manual and minimum. Now: I am an area that recommends 15w-40, but have been known to get a hair up my *** and hit the road ending in who knows what area for a few days .. plus don't knows the weather and temps at that time. So I use a 5w-40 year round without any problems. Like I said, just food for thought.

I'm sorry, I just noticed you live in .. Norway.
    Please change the 5w-40 suggestion to 0w-40. I understand it's like living inside a freezer in winter there.
    It’s just like an old biker said oil selections and brands are like opinions and assholes everyone has both of them my oil that I have been using in all of my Cummins is Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 never had a problem love the oil and I have put on nearly a million miles on this oil Works for me a Great Oil as far as I am concerned

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Agreed with @AnOldBiker, a full synthetic is the oil is preferred. I also use Rotella T6, temps here range from -10F to 110F.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

10. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I as well use rotella t6 is my truck as well and i have a 2006 just like you my friend. Great stuff! I have always used it in all of my vehichles and never an an issue.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Engine oil

I take my truck to the shop for all my pm’s, they only use Schaeffers synthetic oil for those who choose synthetic, I also buy Schaeffers Diesel Treat 2000 from them.

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    2014 Cummins Mega 3500 ( Aisin ) 4X4
    MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

14. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I run royal purple as well! Been very pleased with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

16. Thanks watersupply189, david3gen thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sisupower View Post
    I run royal purple as well! Been very pleased with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A guy I work with has a deleted ‘12 Cummins and he uses amsoil 15w-40. Convinced me to switch to it when he showed me his lab tests from the last few years and that he has around 115k miles on one oil change. He is running a bypass setup as well which I hope to install in the very near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie, Taken care of by DRD, Carli Leveling Kit, RBP 94r 20x9 Wheels, and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, too many to list...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast